Machine Work on 7.3 IDI-T in Northern Virginia - Do I Need a Diesel Specific Machine Shop?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to rebuild a 1994 IDI-T for my 1987 DRW CCLB that I'm converting to 4x4. I have built several gas V-8 engines (hotrod stuff), but this is my first diesel. I have used a small one-man shop before; he did great work and has a great reputation, but he's an old school guy who specializes in Ford FE engines.

I plan to assemble the engine myself, if that makes any difference.

Do I need to find a shop that is familiar/experienced with diesel builds?

Thanks

Scott

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The core of diesel engines really aren't much different. The fuel delivery and ignition method is. Everything just tends to be larger.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Be sure to let the shop or machinist know that these are high nickel blocks. It will need a sharp tool while boring the cylinders. One trick that we used at the shop I used to work at was to remove the plugs that are above and to each side of the front of the cam and not reuse them. These are pressed in from the factory. We would get a 1/4" NPT tap and tap the holes out and then install a pipe plug in the ends of the galleys (holes where the press in plugs were at). CAUTION: only run the tap in about 3 or 4 threads when you do this. If you go too deep, the oil flow will be blocked off to one side of the lifters, push rods, and rocker arms. Be sure to do this BEFORE the block goes to the machine shop. That way all of the metal shavings will be cleaned out while it's there. After I told Wes at Classic Diesel Designs about this, he said that he does this with every engine. I still do that to mine if it's going to a machine shop.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miller's isn't too far from you. They're a quality machine shop. They did the heads on my powerstroke "crewcab project". Excellent long time family machine shop (generations).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online