Need help!!!!!

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey got a quick question I'm sure someone has ran into this issue before. I recently bought a raccor 445 fuel filter head and filter. The problem I'm having is finding the fittings to attach my fuel lines to the filter head. I switched to rubber li es a long time ago but can't seem to find the fuel line barbs with correct thread count for the filter head as well as not being able to find a reducer for my check ball barb for return li e with correct threads. Any help or ideas that other people have do e to solve this would be great I really need to get my truck up and going asap thanksin advance.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks good info on the self bleeding... My issue is I already bought 3/8 MIP brass fittings and it does not match the ports????

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it thread in a couple turns and then stop?

My understanding is MIP threads are cut straight through, while NPT threads have a taper.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks good info on the self bleeding... My issue is I already bought 3/8 MIP brass fittings and it does not match the ports????
Why not take the filter head to the hardware store and spend some time looking for the correct fitting. It sure would beat buying more fittings that don't fit.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did that already and the thread on a barb fitting is just a c hair bigger than the ports so cant even get one to start I guess I'm just gonna order the fitting directly from racor. Now the small fuel line that ran from the stock filter head and tied into return system is that just to bleed air from the filter because stock doesn't have a bleeder? Or does it supply fuel to return system as well?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
MIP- MALE IRON PIPE
NPT- NATIONAL PIPE THREAD
NPTF- NATIONAL PIPE THREAD FUEL

MIP and NPT are the same. NPTF has slightly Different threads they are supposed to seal without sealants. I have always used standard hardware store not barbs in my racor filter with liquid thread sealant only. No teflon tape.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All npt (national pipe threads) are a taper cut thread. Thats why they seal. Now be sure you are not confusing the electrical couduit pipe thread fittings. They are the same size as the npt but they are straight cut. No taper. Use them with a taper cut pipe thread and I garentee you will have leaks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought npt was national pipe tapered and nps was national pipe straight. Same with iron pipe.

;dunno

Things lit water spigots sometimes have nps threads and require a washer to seal.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Have seen it written as NPT - national pipe thread taper and as national pipe thread you are correct they are tapered.
NPS - national pipe straight
but Racor list his filter as 3/8 NPTF thats what I was trying to explain I didn't want to complicate things further.