Need help with recharging my AC system with R12

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Why are you using R12, when it is banned in our country as it is responsible for damaging ozone layer. You should definitely use R134a which is also similar to R12 but less dangerous. If you're worrying about money, then instead of going to dealer, visit some ac repair port st lucie technicians, who would do the job efficiently at an economical rate.
Why are you bumping a year old thread to advertise your shop?
Especially with your first post.
Not smart...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why are you using R12, when it is banned in our country as it is responsible for damaging ozone layer. You should definitely use R134a which is also similar to R12 but less dangerous. If you're worrying about money, then instead of going to dealer, visit some ac repair port st lucie technicians, who would do the job efficiently at an economical rate.

The jury is still out on that one, and while I have no trouble getting 33 deg duct temps out of r134a conversions ( I can make them colder but I dont want to ice the evaporator :D and its what I normally use , but there is the minor bugaboo that all... and I do mean ALL and that includes factory r134a installations seep over time. it's pretty much a miricle to find one that wont need topping off after 100-130k miles no mater how tight it tests even with all new barrier hoses and new compressor., while r12 will generally stay put until some type of failure is involved , and now magically they are claiming the r134a that was supposedly safe before is now unsafe ( funny how that follows the patent experation cycles :rolleyes: the new ones they have been trying to push have been a mixed bust so far ( r700?? yea, lets lower greenhouse gasse by making a refrigerant out of straight greenhouse gas and make the function so complicated it never works... *** :eek: nice try and the next one. heck, I'm too tired, but its about as messed up.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score

Very classy, coming from the scam capital of the world... Here I thought you came from california, land of doom, gloom and "omg there is cancer everywhere" Troll

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
The jury is still out on that one

I've heard what trashes the ozone layer is not CFC's in styrofoam, hairspray, etc etc, but the rockets being launched into space. So it's naturally easier to blame someone in a garage venting R12 out or say rather then a giant factory that outputs enough smoke for 10,000 cars in a hour, it's clearly the little persons fault....

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its amazing no one said anything about venting any r12 into the air yet we are already guilty as sin. If your system is tight and you use proper procedures, r12 is fine if you can get it. Someone also said something about system design favoring r12 for best performance, which is so correct. You need to redesign your entire system to get the best performance from r134. I say use r12 wisely and stay cool around folks with a narrow mindset.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This thread has run amuck with accusations. I think its best we slow down here and realize what the original poster asked for. Name calling and finger pointing is not the way this forum works.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just explaining the correct information about r12 it is not banned for use but ****** r12 is not made any more. It is legal to have, sell and use r12 with the proper licence and bullying otherwise is false information. I would hope using the word bully is ok as it is an accurate assessment. I would have expected your comment much earlier.

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
Just explaining the correct information about r12 it is not banned for use but ****** r12 is not made any more. It is legal to have, sell and use r12 with the proper license…
This is the same as when they first "banned" asbestos, it wasn't banned to use, it was banned to mine it, they were allowed to use their stockpiles of asbestos for years after. When I was in school in 1995 my instructors told me R12 was being fazed out, 134a was coming in and he had a report showing 134a was to be fazed out in 2014-2016 area. He also told us about a straight drop in for R12 I think it was MP39, a refrigerant used in industrial, stationary uses. Said the info he got was they didn't want to use that because it was propane based and caused explosion hazzard in crashes. I always wondered how 2-5lbs of propane was more dangerous than gallons of it in propane powered vehicles. It's all political BS! Same as smoging diesels, politics and money.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it was intentional or not, but look at your post - it's got an embedded link to some ac shop.... I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in thinking it might be some weird computer issue or virus taking over your system.... Thought for someone who claims to be "trying to help" you've done nothing but act like a troll and contribute nothing....

CA is a beautiful state.... unfortunately it's overrun by irritatingly useless idiots that can't find their collective rears, have no common sense and think it's their prerogative to enforce their particular brand of craziness on everyone else.... Expensive as all get out too.

R12 **manufacture** was banned - as near as I can tell, there's no rulings specifically prohibiting it's use as long as you comply with all the other refrigerant laws and have some that was made before it was banned.....

The big push now is towards non fluro carbon systems - as I understand it R-134 is not nearly as damaging to the ozone layer as R-12 but still is, and I think it's also supposed to be a pretty powerful greeen house gas, so now they want to go towards something better.... more money and political BS I fear.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If anyone in close to me needs r-12 gauges I have them and I Also have vacuum pump. I dont have anymore r-12 you will have to bring your own.
That little bit of freon is nothing compared to the **** that comes out our tailpipes. If someone is that environmentally conscious they should be driving an idi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
R12 Freon is not banned for use. Its bought and sold every day. Now its production in this country is banned. Others country's are not so . I have several cans of DuPont R12 that are printed in Spanish because they were made in Mexico. I can't say if a bunch of mexicans came up here and sucked out all the R12 they could find and filled new cans of it down there. I just know what I have and where to get more if I need more. So far I only buy the 12 oz or as some call it the 1 lb cans. Its simpler for me to add cans. That way I know how many lbs I'm adding compared to a 30 lb tank and a scale. Banned for use in th USA.. I don't think so. This ends my comments about this thread whether I'm right or wrong...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If anyone in close to me needs r-12 gauges I have them and I Also have vacuum pump. I dont have anymore r-12 you will have to bring your own.
That little bit of freon is released into the atmosphere nothing compared to the **** that comes out our tailpipes. If someone is that environmentally conscious they shouldn't be driving an id

Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was not a spam. I was just trying to help. And why so hatred for California.....It's the beautiful state. :mad::dunno

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but look at your post - it's got an embedded link to some ac shop.... I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt in thinking it might be some weird computer issue or virus taking over your system.... Thought for someone who claims to be "trying to help" you've done nothing but act like a troll and contribute nothing....

The embedded link plus the fact that the OP is from Arkansas and that the link and your location are both for Florida doesn't look very good. Having a first post like that sure does look like spam. If it isn't stay around and read some threads this site is very knowledge thirsty. If you know something can't be done don't just post that. People here like knowing why their ideas won't work; knowledge around here is power.