Need Help Fast, Got To Have My Truck Up Tomorrow

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Don't get too crazy about taking out the heater core, it will leak all the time if there is a problem. Not only that, the heater core in a non-A/C truck comes out through the engine bay, not inside the cab. I changed my heater core a couple years ago and have had your "seepage" ever since. I did not reinstall the firewall foam correctly and get a leak every time it rains or I wash the truck. It may be as simple as that.

Be certain you know where the leak is before committing to any repair.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Well **** guys! Maybe an update here.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say this probably aint normal and should not be a hole there?

You must be registered for see images attach

It doesn't look like its jaggedly broke or anything but I assume thats not supposed to be open to the right of the hoses? Or is that because im a non ac truck?

I cant get my head down there to see where it goes or if its sealed.

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
IMO, doesn't look right. When you turn the fan on, can you even feel it blowing?

Yes my heat is pretty good, acourse I dont know if maybe thats just because its a single cab.

But ive had one person tell me thats totally normal and supposed to be a hole there beens its a non ac truck.

Another said that does not look right and thats where my water is coming in from.

Sooo still trying to find out some info here. This is my first one of these so some of these super specific things like this, ive yet to learn.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I can't see water just dropping in, unless you don't have the weather strip up there for the hood.
You could try spraying water through there... But could maybe soak things worse....

Are you married, have a girlfriend, or even a teenager daughter that lives with you?
If so, you're in luck. As for a "compact," they'll know what it means. Take that and you can use it to see in there.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Im hoping someone can eventually chime in and tell me if that hole on top of the box is normal for non ac truck or not; cus if its not than boom theres my problem.

If thats totally normal, then I guess I will have to keep searching; but my heater core looked perfect.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im hoping someone can eventually chime in and tell me if that hole on top of the box is normal for non ac truck or not; cus if its not than boom theres my problem.

If thats totally normal, then I guess I will have to keep searching; but my heater core looked perfect.

Pretty sure the hole is normal, you just have an elbow plenum where the evaporator core would go on a factory A/C truck. Also, your heater core will come out thru inside of cab, it is the high-output cores that come out thru the engine bay and this one ain't it. This info if you ever need to replace it, and as suggested just cut the hoses and peel them off old core and install new hoses.

That said, how's the humidity where you live? What you're seeing is condensation/moisture trapped under carpet, essentially carpet acts like a 1-way membrane allowing water to soak in the foam but not to evaporate later. Not one of Ford's greatest designs, happens w/ cars too - if you wanna stop it for good ditch the carpet and go w/ rubber floor from an XL-trim level truck. At the very least rip all of that stupid foam out, truck will be louder inside but floors won't rot.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Pretty sure the hole is normal, you just have an elbow plenum where the evaporator core would go on a factory A/C truck. Also, your heater core will come out thru inside of cab, it is the high-output cores that come out thru the engine bay and this one ain't it. This info if you ever need to replace it, and as suggested just cut the hoses and peel them off old core and install new hoses.

That said, how's the humidity where you live? What you're seeing is condensation/moisture trapped under carpet, essentially carpet acts like a 1-way membrane allowing water to soak in the foam but not to evaporate later. Not one of Ford's greatest designs, happens w/ cars too - if you wanna stop it for good ditch the carpet and go w/ rubber floor from an XL-trim level truck. At the very least rip all of that stupid foam out, truck will be louder inside but floors won't rot.

I was hoping you were going to chime in soon as I know that you know your stuff pretty good.

As far as the carpet, my truck is a custom or xl package so i do have the vinyl. This is actually the foam that is glued to the firewall that runs behind the dash. It was soaking wet only behind the heater core box area n only half way up the foam on the firewall.

But it was just regular water so im afraid im not going to be able to find the source of the leak without pulling the dash n seeing where its coming from. The dash and ducting behind the dash n glovebox prevent me from seeing where its coming from.

You can see where the foam is a little darker underneath it, but I dont think its my heater core at all, I think its from something else but everythings in the way to find out where. Def not a good place to leak in.

Poor truck, not how I wanted her to spend her 23rd birth month n just turning over 46k.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, that foam - I ripped mine out while repairing the seams where firewall meets floorpans, which rotted courtesy of the sound insulation Ford put on the engine bay side of firewall... And yeah, from the pics now I can kinda figure out you got the vinyl floor, mine looked very different in the rust department... That insulation also went in the trash.

Anyways, it ain't your heater core leaking, I suspect it's the seal between the plenum and the firewall. Or the grommet where that harness goes thru the plenum. Or the foam where heater core ports go thru firewall. I'd pull the hoses (cut & replace if so needed), trim some of the excess foam around the area and see where there may be a gap. I actually have several wires ran next to that harness, I sealed them to plenum w/ RTV and not a drop of water inside. So I'd recommend spreading some grey RTV over that foamy mess (after trimming it). And pull up that insulation piece on inside and look under it for holes in firewall, IIRC there's at least one in there that should have a plug thru it, but may be missing it.

Also, you do know we have a PM system, right? Don't just wait and hope on a particular someone who you think may be able to help you to log in, you can send PM, I bet very few folks will "yell" at you for it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has the truck ever lived under a tree?
if so, the cowl drains may be plugged.
see the galvanized plate on the kick panel wall? remove it and see how much debris is packed in there. i have found many cabin leaks from that source.
check out this link

www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59476-Cowl-Drains

al posted a shitload of pics in post #11

you can get to yours from the inside of the cab since you got everything removed already.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
has the truck ever lived under a tree?
if so, the cowl drains may be plugged.
see the galvanized plate on the kick panel wall? remove it and see how much debris is packed in there. i have found many cabin leaks from that source.
check out this link

www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59476-Cowl-Drains

al posted a shitload of pics in post #11

you can get to yours from the inside of the cab since you got everything removed already.

I had just a tiny bit in there as far as I can tell.

But quick question, even if it was blocked, how does the water get inside the cab?

My plate was totally sealed so I dont see where the water could even pool up and make its way in.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont freak out. If any water leaks inside, the flooring can remain wet for a LONG time. Sounds like your cowl could have a leak.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had just a tiny bit in there as far as I can tell.

But quick question, even if it was blocked, how does the water get inside the cab?

My plate was totally sealed so I dont see where the water could even pool up and make its way in.

Aye, my driver-side plate looked sealed as well, but I could still see the tiny stream of water running in between it and cab wall under heavy rainfall. This with the cowl drains perfectly clean too, and the 1-way-valve-like rubber boots removed as well. It was the way water flowed at the angle truck was parked I guess, but since resealing it there have been no issues whatsoever.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** do you see a hole in there Riot? All I see is the bend of the plenum shape right under the big vacuum hose, and the heat shield being slightly apart from said plenum's wall... He's asking about the cavity between the heater core plenum and the elbow inboard of it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would suspect cowl drains as well.
To eleminate the cooling system as suspect, go to the parts store and get 2 small bottles or UV dye for cooling system and a UV light and glasses same as used for testing for leaks in AC system , pour dye in cooling system, place cardboard over rad so you can get coolant fully circulating and fire it up and get it up to temp( watch temp so you dont overheat, ) let it run for a bit then shut off and go over it with the glasses and UV light( best done in dark place) If there are any coolant leaks, you will see a bright yellow glowing trail leading to the point of exit from the system, if no leak... no trail, simple as that, and you can go on to chasing the water ingress from teh cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online