Need advice with my 1992 F250 7.3 IDI

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they are the same, I used a prebled system on my truck
Thank you very much!
I knew they were both external but didn't know if the number change was for the connection or something more critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got myself and my new supplies together and took a shot at the rear main seal. That plastic ford tool is a joke, and aviation permetex is the devil.

The seal ended up seating way too deep in the plate, so I'm sure I'll have to replace that. But the good news is the sleeve installed well enough.

I also noticed the pushrod for my new master is a different diameter than the heim joint I bought. I should probably just replace the plastic with brass and call it done.

Going to bolt up the flywheel and test the rear main tomorrow, if everything goes well I'll probably install pedals and master / slave.

If I do need a replacement rear main after tomorrow, do I have to buy the navistar/ford combo I just attempted to install?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're asking if you have to buy a Ford seal, then no. Fel-Pro makes one. I believe Victor Reinz does too.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had to remove the first sleeve to attempt and install a ford combo again. The first sleeve had a nick and I thought I'd just start fresh.

Well, this one did the exact same thing as the first and is installed quite deep. At this point, I'm going to bolt the flywheel up and see what happens. If it still leaks, I'm replacing the cover. It's the oil cooler all over again

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Good idea. If there's a nick on the sleeve, there's a good chance that it will leak. I had to pull the E4OD out of an ambulance one time to replace the sleeve with a nick in it. There was a sharp burr on the crank for some reason. I filed that off and put on a new sleeve and no more leak. This was all because the guy who was hired to help build engines needed to wear glasses and wouldn't. He didn't build too many more after that one.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea. If there's a nick on the sleeve, there's a good chance that it will leak. I had to pull the E4OD out of an ambulance one time to replace the sleeve with a nick in it. There was a sharp burr on the crank for some reason. I filed that off and put on a new sleeve and no more leak. This was all because the guy who was hired to help build engines needed to wear glasses and wouldn't. He didn't build too many more after that one.
Well, I decided against trying to start the truck to test the seal. I know it's installed wrong, and even though it sucks I'm going to pull it all back apart and replace the cover. I'm sure I bent it on the way out, and that's the only thing I can think of that's changed since the original was removed.

Hopefully I can find one locally; seems like everyone wants $50 for the cover !

Then I'll be picking a seal / sleeve and ordering two.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now in my earlier post, I was only talking about a seal being made by Fel-pro and Victor Reinz. I don't know if they make a crankshaft sleeve or not. I didn't make that very clear. I do believe that there may be one or more aftermarket companies that make a sleeve by itself.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now in my earlier post, I was only talking about a seal being made by Fel-pro and Victor Reinz. I don't know if they make a crankshaft sleeve or not. I didn't make that very clear. I do believe that there may be one or more aftermarket companies that make a sleeve by itself.
I'm just looking for a seal that will work with the sleeve provided by Ford that is currently installed. I did order the felpro seal but returned it when I realized I didn't have the tool.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my truck all back together this morning. New pedalbox, master and slave, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, shift fork and the ball it lives on!

The bad news is the clutch still won't disengage. The only gear I can get into is reverse; which is exactly what got me in this mess.

My guess is I'm not cutting splines into the clutch arm correctly. Too much slop before pedal engagement?

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check again, but when I looked into reinforcement the gentleman who makes the kit told me my cab wasn't affected by that problem usually.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the obs trucks didn’t have that issue as much as later models, but I’ve still had to repair cracked firewalls on obs trucks nonetheless