Need advice with my 1992 F250 7.3 IDI

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked the truck back at home! Poor motor had 10 hours straight today. Had a bit of a scare, and contacted a most awesome forum member here who offered to help. I decided to push on, and made it back without too much of an issue though.

The most odd thing about the entire adventure today was my fuel economy. The way there I got 22.73 mpg, and the way back 17.99 mpg. That seems really good to be leaking fuel at the same time, so I'm pretty impressed!

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to move this motor around without a cherry picker / crane !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 69 years old, I have played that game a lot when I was younger, by a lot! No more.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 69 years old, I have played that game a lot when I was younger, by a lot! No more.
I take it you mean the countless miles you've traveled in a row!? I don't usually have any problems as long as it's for a good reason. I hope this trip has ended my search for a turbo kit

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Harbor Freight for their shop cranes. While I know that it's not the best stuff, it does the job and does it decently. I've used them for things just like this when I don't want to spend much because I only need it to do a job two or three times over many years.

Have fun with the new motor. It's a wonderful feeling to have a spare block around the house.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Harbor Freight for their shop cranes. While I know that it's not the best stuff, it does the job and does it decently. I've used them for things just like this when I don't want to spend much because I only need it to do a job two or three times over many years.

Have fun with the new motor. It's a wonderful feeling to have a spare block around the house.
It's looking like that's the only option for new. I'm debating between new and used. Craigslist has a few options for quite a bit less than the harbor freight unit even. I had also looked at the hitch mounted cranes with legs, which could be more versatile but less capable at 1/2 ton capacity.

It's too bad I don't have a way to mount a jib crane hideaway style over the wheel well. Those are reasonable money for high capacity.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew a guy who made a homebrew mobile crane out of a 2 ton come-along and some square tube. He made it to lift totes of mining tailings from his dredge and transport to his sluice box. It worked well, just took some measuring. Manual boat winches are another options, seen those rigged up as a poor man's shop crane.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying an Excalibur crane made in the Carolinas. It's beefy compared to the harbor freight unit. The one I bought doesn't have many markings, but appears to be either the 2 or 4 ton version. It didn't have any problem lifting the motor out of the bed, and didn't appear to strain at all. Based on a search the replacement bottle jack is undersized at 3 ton though.

I also got the truck straightened out at the shop today. They made it right, and it didn't cost me anything! Although their timing set at 4.5 degrees makes me suspect. I'll have to investigate later.

I have yet to take the turbo off the spare motor, but I know I'll be shopping for the upgrade pipes as I have the crushed factory kit.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit has the Banks Downpipe for under $100. It's a simple install, I did mine a few years ago. Makes a difference in throttle response, I didn't see any mileage increase.
Well, the turbo kit will be a retrofit for me. Firewall abuse and all! I wanted to get a quote on a turbo rebuild first. Left a message for Mel but haven't heard back yet, have no idea what it costs. I'm also waiting to hear from typ4 on one of his cams while I'm at it.

I'm sure pork_chop got several smiles per gallon out of that downpipe upgrade!

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no idea the cost of a rebuild could go so high. Seems like you can get the parts relatively inexpensive; but full rebuilds in the range of $700+?

At this point I'd like the test the turbo as is and get some use from it before a rebuild

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In shopping around for a rebuild kit, I noticed they come in a few different flavors. I've got my turbo off but not disassembled. I've read elsewhere on this site I need a t3/t4 hybrid rebuild kit with a dynamic seal.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/whats-a-turbo-rebuild-kit-cost.35566/

Should I buy the 360 degree upgrade as well? I plan on having it balanced professionally.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO "rebuilt" my truck's tired 6.9 with a $150 junkyard 7.3 out of a wrecked u-haul
230k miles later I'm still rolling ;Sweet