Need a new starter today...What brand???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think I have traced my ever worsening battery problem down to the starter on my truck, as of yesterday now instead of cranking slow the starter sulinoid just clunks and now cranking at all. I'm about to pull the starter out and run down to the auto parts store to have it tested. If it is bad I want to buy a new, not a rebuilt, can anyone tell me what brands I should look at or what ones not to buy? I think its a mitsubishi brand starter now, I could be wrong Ill see when I get it out.

Hoping to get this done today so I can mow some lawns tomorrow durring the holiday since auto stores will be closed.

thanks,

-Rob

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The gear reduction Mitsubichi is a fine starter. About buying new??? Why? Most stores will offer a lifetime warranty but... Thats only means you will pay once for it but you will be replacing it several times in the life of the truck.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and----the mitshu starter normally is fine--its the solenoid that likes to take a dump--find a starter shop--have them test it--it may be just that--about a 30 dol part---

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new mitsubishi starter today, central had it in stock, got there 5 min before they closed on a holidy weekend. It's now installed and the truck starts perfect.

The sulinoid on the bad starter was actualy brand new, when I rebuild my engine a few months ago I destroyed the sulinoid taking the wires off. When I was testing the starter the bendix would throw the starter gear out but it wouldn't turn so definately the starter. Stuck the broken sulinoid back on the broken starter when i turned it in as a core.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm so happy to have a good starting running truck again. Still going to redo all the battery cables just for ease of maintenance.

-Rob