My Word

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've done a complete WVO conversion on my truck - which coincidentally allows me to run 100% WMO - which I've been doing a while now.

I've been wanting to try 100% WVO for a while, but no matter where I look in the Denver Metropolitan area I cannot find a single soul willing to sell me a 55 gallon drum - or 1 gallon for that matter - of dewatered/filtered WVO at any price. I could use my filtration rig to do this, but I'd need to corner a WVO source. Thought I'd try veggie at cost first. No dice.

Craigslist is replete with folks wanting it, some paying some not - but not one outift or person willing to sell it.

Very strange.

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, that's pretty crazy. Right now we've got a total lull in interest in this stuff because of impending winter and low gas prices, so it sucks that you can't get any even when fewer people are interested.

The thing I remember hearing aobut Denver is that there's an oil collector who's not really on the level, who's doing a lot of the collections around that area. I think they're telling restaurants that they're making sustainable biodiesel recycling blah blah and that instead they're actually selling it to dogfood manufacturers and such (I swear, I really am not just spreading rumors, I know a bunch of people who've been involved in biodiesel industry in that part of Colorado). That is the explanation I've heard for why it's so tight there- they're super aggressive about collections contracts and have been at it for a while.

Know anyone in the restaurant industry?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah it's Rocky Mountain : http://www.rmse.biz/

They're willing to sell me railcar quantities (7,000 gallons) at whatever the Ohio/Texas commodities markets are trading it at. The beef producers supposedly add 3 gallons a day to feedlot cow feed to increase the weight and fat content of their beef.

As far as the market for WVO here. I sell 55 gallon drums as a side business. I sell large quantities of these drums to folks who are in the BD business or claim to be. There are alot of them - every week I get a call from someone else starting up a BD business. I'm trying to barter with them for oil - they seem to be more interested in giving me cash than oil.

Anyway...

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
If you were only closer. :rolleyes: I get as many 55 gallon steel drums for free as I could possibly need. There is an olive oil bottler in town who gives me his ****** empties. No need to clean them as they only had ****** olive oil in them once.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
If you were only closer. :rolleyes: I get as many 55 gallon steel drums for free as I could possibly need. There is an olive oil bottler in town who gives me his ****** empties. No need to clean them as they only had ****** olive oil in them once.

nice.

Does he know they have about a $6.00-$7.00 steel scrap value?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Actually there's a toll free pickup number printed on the drums. I don't think he has the time or desire so he just gives them away. I originally found him on Craig's List.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Maria that sucks that home brewing biodiesel interest has dropped. You must be the only one waiting for diesel prices to rise again. :rolleyes: :D

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks hheynow. The timing of the downturn is actually fine for me- I'm super sick these days so I couldn't be working (teaching) much anyway. I'm teaching about once every 3 weeks (and all the work in between) so it's a manageable schedule for me to keep up with things, sorta..

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my only problem is that I wish I had an extra $1000 sitting around to invest in a few barrels of gasoline and diesel for blending in winter here in North Carolina- since I"m also expecting that i'ts going to go through the roof again soon.