My options, and your opinions.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that they do. They use a timing chain which makes the cam turn the same direction as the crank. Ours use gears which means that the cam turns opposite of the crank so the pump turns the opposite of the cam or the same direction as the crank does.

Wesley Morris and LaineD are both under 30 and they are very interested in these engines. Dane Rickford is under 30 as well even though he isn't very active on here anymore. I'm sure that there's others as well. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.
Im under 40, and as you saw in some of my postings in the “let’s make a deal on Oilburners thread” outside of this forum. I’m “old” with the IDIs. Lots of crowd under 30 and even under 20. As @IDIBRONCO mentioned the owner of CDD is younger than me.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So get this.....this is a forum devoted to these engines, obviously we have young and old alike here. And yes I know myself...... kinda..... but other than me I don't know anyone locally that's bout it, bout it. You're going to drive me nuts! I've got it coming though!

12pilgrim

Reaction score
So get this.....this is a forum devoted to these engines, obviously we have young and old alike here. And yes I know myself...... kinda..... but other than me I don't know anyone locally that's bout it, bout it. You're going to drive me nuts! I've got it coming though!
I hope you get everything figured out, my friend. We'll all be decent mechanics one day won't we? Always something to fix and learn.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you get everything figured out, my friend. We'll all be decent mechanics one day won't we? Always something to fix and learn.
Oh yeah, it's pretty much figured out. Gotta hammer out a couple more details and put it back together. And as ive said before, I exclusively drive old vehicles, yes I got to work on them but I enjoy it and it's cheaper than a car payment and the only tow truck that comes in my yard belongs to me.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, it's pretty much figured out. Gotta hammer out a couple more details and put it back together. And as ive said before, I exclusively drive old vehicles, yes I got to work on them but I enjoy it and it's cheaper than a car payment and the only tow truck that comes in my yard belongs to me.
If you never put an IDI back together from bare block before, the one tool I would invest in the better quality version of is the piston ring compressor. I used the thin cheap sheet metal one last time and it was a pain.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching on CL for John Deere tractor stuff and ran across this guy in Colorado that parts out,trucks and has a lot of Diesel Engines.

maybe he has some IDI`s? Worth a call.

Goat

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Jensales about the pistons that @franklin2 found, that was a sham. They say the picture is the actual piston and they're not available anyway. So I'm back to putting the good pistons out of the cavitated block into the turbo block. I was getting excited about the 6.9. I really want that to be my engine, for whatever reason I'm attached to that motor. Still haven't heard from my "wild card" engine, I've wrote him off anyway. That's the update, thanks for the input and thanks for looking up the pistons Franklin! It's not your fault I'm not building a Farmall H, they'd know what that is.

PossumTruck

Reaction score
Well, sorry to hear the misfortune on the pistons. In a pinch, after swapping the pistons on 7.3, you could always bore the 6.9 and build it. I have heard a story of a guy who only bored a bad cylinder, lol. But you could always take your time on the 6.9, bore it to .040, then have readily-available pistons.

Also. I am under 40, lol.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda my plan. I need a truck, and I'm just buying time. And my under 40 comment really has to do with "local to me" I guess. Apparently I live in a vacuum of young people who turn wrenches.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Apparently I live in a vacuum of young people who turn wrenches.
I think that we all do. Actually it would be a vacuum of all people who turn wrenches. It may seem like there's a lot of us (everyone on this forum), but we're really just a small part of a small community of people. I do have a friend who just recently rebuilt an engine with his 16 year old son. They put it in a 1967 Cougar. Next a AOD transmission is going in so it will be better to drive on the highway than it is now. Then they'll do the body work and paint it. There is still a little bit of hope out there.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that we all do. Actually it would be a vacuum of all people who turn wrenches. It may seem like there's a lot of us (everyone on this forum), but we're really just a small part of a small community of people. I do have a friend who just recently rebuilt an engine with his 16 year old son. They put it in a 1967 Cougar. Next a AOD transmission is going in so it will be better to drive on the highway than it is now. Then they'll do the body work and paint it. There is still a little bit of hope out there.
It's like when you notice someone's obscure last name and comment that is your mother's maiden name, and they say, "ha small world" but your in the same county. So yeah, obviously we'll find young people here.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda my plan. I need a truck, and I'm just buying time. And my under 40 comment really has to do with "local to me" I guess. Apparently I live in a vacuum of young people who turn wrenches.
Over 40 crowd on OB - can’t imagine there’s many young folks that are into these engines
Under 40 crowd on OB - surprise