My injector replacement saga

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Well folks, i replaced my injectors tonight. I found i had a radiator leaking and a broken shock mount, ill get pics of the injectors and the shock mount.

anyways heres the story

I go over to a friends garage to do this. Well he had his power shut off and we dont know why. So no power tools, anyways we're like lets do this. SO we take the lines off the topand move the caps, injector 2 comes out with the washer, IT was a G code, i was like someone replacedthese with G codes out of a junkyard, anyways we throw a new injector in it.

Remove the 4 cylinder injector diesel dripping from the tip, BB code, washer came with it.

Removed the 6 cylinder injector, washer came with and looked to be in good shape.
number 8 injector,washer camewith it, and looked like it was still pretty good also a G code

So we tie everything back up on the drivers side, and go to the passenger side

Remove eeverything and the caps, takethe first injector out, copper washer didnt come, so we fought it and finally got it out, it was i beleive an AA injector. So we put a new one in and went to #3 cylinder

#3 cylinder was the beast of beasts. We take the injector out, and we go to pull it out, HALF the injector came out..... AT this point and time i said lets crank it over and see if the rest will pop out. So i crank it over and parts of the injector go flying out, i was like ALRIGHT and then i looked back in the hole, parts of the ijector is istill in there. Carboned in. after various attempts we finally got our last resort, an cold chisle and hammer, That got it out, and we put a new injector in there.

clyinder 5 and 7 both went welll

So i hope in the truck and crank and crank and crank and crank, and did i mention i cranked, and we hit it with very little starter fluid. and it almost vaper locked, so i said *&&^%^ te fluid, and finally it fires, and sounds like a rods a knocking. I let her set and idle for about 5 and i just cant take this sound anymore, so i look at my buddy and go Get in. He's like um why. I said so we can walk back together when theres a rod hanging out the block. So he jumps in and i get in the truck. At this time it was do or die i said to the truck rev her up and dump the clutch, tires went to spinnin, grabbed second, Turbo just a howling, motor a hammering, pushed her to governer, grabbed third tires chripped, and the motor started to quiet down. well i take her to the highway, and lay the hammer down, i hit governer in 5th, motor is now pretty quiet. I was like hrmm musta been a sticky lifter or something. so i go back to his place drop him off and go home.

I got to thinking, could it be carbon knock???? or it may be a lifter pecking. The noise is coming from the 3rd cylinder. I think theres a bunch of carbon built up. Anyways its running like a top now, and i dont hear much of anything cept this damn howl..from the turbo...

Last edited by a moderator:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that a piece of that broken injector ended up in the cylinder. Did you recover all the pieces that you removed? Sounds like you probably passed it through the exhaust valve, hopefully with no damage. You could remove the injector, put the cylinder to top dead center and try to look at the top of the piston to see if you did any damage. A boroscope would be really good for looking in there if you can get your hands on one.

Or you could just keep driving it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The borascope would have to be the type the DR uses because the precups have a wicked turn in the throats you need to pass thru....

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
well it wasnt a piece of injector in cylinder i got all the parts of the injector out (took another one a part to make sure). and the noise has went away. I think it was a whole bunch of carbon due to that cylinder not firing for atleast 40,000 miles.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Kevin. You really are a redneck, ya know?

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Damn Kevin. You really are a redneck, ya know?

Yeah i know, I think i need to tighting up a injector line and buy a cap replacement kit....AGAIN. O well, i also got to get a shock mount and my rad fixed..... And now possibly an injector line, just hopefully i didnt tightin it good enough.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when he gets back, he plops down on the sofa, drinks a six pack and beats the wife. :rolleyes:

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Id watch where your going with that mel, your getting to a very fine line.

and on the rod thing, it was either gonna throw it, or not. What was it gonna save? i crank that already needs worked over because a rock was knocking on it???? I could go a pull a part locally and get a core for 100 bucks which i could rebuild.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry man. Just finishing up the stereo type. Quite the opposite of what I would have thought, having met you and knowing your an I.T. guy. I would think you would be more logical and less prone to risk abuse of your machine. Unless of course, you were ready to plop down some serious coin to rejuvinate your beast with a new motor, and were just looking for an excuse to accelerate the plan. :dunno

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I have a temper, which sometimes influences some of my brighter ideas (grabbing gears). But its all good mel, ive got to go get an injector line probably, im about to go tighten it up and see if it leaks

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
WOOOHOOOOOO it dont leak anymore, now to go to town and get a shock moutn and a injector cap/o ring kit (i guess i cracked a couple caps) and yes travis i woulda got one but the hsop i was at was out of them

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
And when he gets back, he plops down on the sofa, drinks a six pack and beats the wife. :rolleyes:
I always beat the wifey, then drink the 6pack while I grab gears. Stop 'n get another 6pack for the return trip cause I know when I get back the wifey gonna be laying & waitin.....just inside the trailerhouse door.....& it ain't gonna be pretty!:eek:

(OK, OK! I'll go stand in the corner again....):D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some dumb things because of a bad temper too, doesn't mean I'd take it too far... I really take with a grain of salt any noises I hear from the engien until everythings firing, all the leaks have gone away and all the air is pushed out. One time I had what sounded like a bad knock, but I had an injector loose in the head and just tightened it back down and it went away. Lots of combustion gases escaped made the knock etc.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man-o-man I figured out a loooooooooong time back that if I was stupid enough to beat my wife i sure would not go to sleep anywhere she could find me with either a frying pan or a 12 gauge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online