My Electrical Gremlin

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So about two weeks ago I posted this thread https://www.oilburners.net/threads/what-is-this.82665/ as it turns out the previous owner cut the wire to the 6.9 inline fuel heater and left it chilling below the fuel filter bare wires exposed. So randomly one night after all the battles I had with this truck since I bought it of getting fuel in my oil and having air in my lines and so much garbage I was convinced it was fine and it started cutting out on my way home. It wasn't air cutting out though, I could tell it was electrical like my facet pump or fss was cutting out. Next morning I looked under the hood with the truck idling and caught the glimmer of sparks and cut the wire and capped it off. Never had that issue again. (Truck is Lenny in sig fyi).

Ever since then I've had an intermittent issue. Sometimes the first attempt at a start when you get in the truck, warm or cold just ran or otherwise the first key turn just generates a solenoid click / clunk. I figured the fender solenoid or starter were going out. It didn't even do it all of the time, but then after a few times of it doing that it did three clicks before spinning over the starter so I had enough of that and replaced the starter and the fender solenoid. It's "better" but out of like 20 starts since it still did the first key turn click 2 times to me and when it did I left the key on start and nothing. But if I back it off and turn it again it starts perfect. Spins real fast. Batteries at least voltage wise are very strong (3 years cat 1000cca batteries) and I can't tell if the click is just the solenoid on the fender or if the starter spins onto the ring gear and just doesn't have enough to turn the engine over kinda like a lawnmower with a battery that's seen better days. It could be that I guess, but its amazing how fast it will spin the next key turn and keep spinning until the truck starts. This engine is "fresher" than my other idi which might have less compression and be easier to start so my perception might be off but I've had plenty of half dead batteries and never had one get stuck on the first compression stroke it sees. Not hydrolocking either it will do this 30 seconds after running or after sitting all night. Coolant and everything are in check. No water seeping into the air cleaner lid etc..

I guess what I'm wondering as my battery terminals are clean, grounds seem clean, and its a new starter and new solenoid and did the same thing with the old starter and solenoid is does anyone think the fuel heater wire in the other thread as it was grounding out could have half fried a fusible link or small ground wire near the glow plug relay and fender solenoid? What would you guys suggest I check? I haven't tried jumping the fender solenoid to start it first try yet but I'm gonna do that tomorrow and see how it likes that. Maybe run the truck to the parts store and have it load tested. Not sure.

Just don't wanna get stranded or have a solenoid stick and have a free wheeling starter. Those are fun. I've at least between both idi's gotten really good at changing starters. 30 minutes / less swearing and throwing of things.

Thanks for any input as always.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on the issue not being in the engine bay at all. I bet it’s your ignition switch on your column being out of adjustment or just needing replacing.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep sounds like switch. When I bought mine it had a push button, bought a new switch and adjusted it correctly and no issues since.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if thats all true what am I hearing click under the hood? Doesnt the fender solenoid clicking mean its getting the switched 12v from the ignition?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if thats all true what am I hearing click under the hood? Doesnt the fender solenoid clicking mean its getting the switched 12v from the ignition?

Yes, but it may not be getting the start power all the time or it may cut out when you click over to start. Bad contacts inside the switch would be the most likely cause.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Truck already has a push button for the glow plugs that isnt hooked up because the previous owner fixed them correctly.. trying to decide what was fixed by owner 1 or owner 2 of this truck is hard sometimes because both had various... methods..

So ill just run a wire to the fender solenoid tomorrow from that push button and see what happens

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate since I'm working a midnight tonight, say I hook up the push button tomorrow and it still clicks occasionally.. what would everyone check next? Fender solenoids are loud, my dad thought the first time he heard it that it was the starter pushing the bendix out and not spinning but I'm almost positive it's just the fender solenoid. If it is clicking and not sending power then either I have 2 that are bad that did the same thing (seems unlikely). Either have bad grounds somewhere but I don't know about that.. Or the positive battery cable from batteries to the post on the starter isn't carrying enough current to "draw" power when the fender solenoid sends the signal to the solenoid on the starter as both starters have done the same thing.

I really don't get why there even is a fender solenoid since the starters have a solenoid themselves. It's not like the 300's where the starter isn't hooked to the battery and just the fender solenoid itself. Why have two things that essentially do the same thing and "tell" the starter to momentarily hook to the battery? Seems like an extra failure point and the wire to the trigger on the solenoid on the starter isn't exactly heavy duty so it doesn't seem like current would be the issue..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I wired in the push button and at least the first two starts of today were clunk free. The push button has the worlds world's strongest return spring on the other side so its kinda hard to push but at least it wont stick haha..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats still not it. Did it to me once again tonight stopping places on my way to work. Ugh.

Its just the fender solenoid clicking not the one down on the starter. Makes no sense that the old one started doing this intermittently and a new one does the same thing. Since it starts so good and the battery cables are clean I'm thinking maybe the positive wire from battery to the fender solenoid is maybe junk? Or maybe the wire from the fender solenoid down to the starter solenoid.. guess I'll try and replace those tomorrow.

It barely does it now with the new starter and all the aforementioned stuff, but if it is a corroding wire or something I'd like to find it before it gets worse and ruins something else.

I just genuinely dont know what else to do outside of replace smaller wires first before putting on new battery cables when these ones look fine..

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're sure its your fender solenoid? I had a "new" reman that would occasionally just click. Exchanged under warranty and no problems since.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure. It does it this so intermittently its hard to tell honestly. I'm gonna replace those wires and see how it acts from there I guess. I have a new powermaster for my 7.3 that has an old tired parts store starter, I dont wanna waste it on my 6.9 until I know for sure the other electrical components are good but I'm running out of possibilities if it still does it after replacing battery to fender and fender to starter trigger wires..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 wire. It has a ground strap to it. Ill run another ground wire to it just for kicks tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin