My 2007 Ford F-250 Build Thread

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is my second truck it is much better and more reliable than what my IDI was and i have no doubts on where i would drive this truck to. but i still miss my IDI. i bought the 6.0 2 months ago it had 175k on it, it now has 180k, i used to drive alot to get to my old job. i believe the truck was ordered with special options. it is an xlt level truck but it has keyless entry, power driver seat, heated mirrors, cab lights, upfitter switches with the brake controller and a 6 disc CD player and the truck is Dark Green Satin Metallic and metallic gold 2 tone paint.

i am unsure of the amount of owners the truck has had but over the years it has gotten an S&B cold air intake, a SCT X4 tuner, a EGR delete, and a 4 inch exhaust with muffler, i also believe it has a 10 blade hot side wheel because it whistles alot for having a muffler, but i could be completely wrong. anyway, it was all time and money that i didnt have to invest into the truck and thats always a good thing, and it was all upgrades that i wanted to do.

the only things i have done so far is an oil change and new batteries and i got a set of sunvisors from "Limited" Excursion in the junkard for super cheap

i will up load some pics of the truck tomorrow.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.... i am not good at keeping my build threads up to date, i also screwed up in the first post, i got the truck 3 months ago not 2 months ago lol. since i started the thread i installed an XDP coolant filter. i will post some pictures tomorrow.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score

• IMG_8183.JPG
    IMG_8183.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8184.JPG
    IMG_8184.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8186.JPG
    IMG_8186.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8243.JPG
    IMG_8243.JPG
    500.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8280.JPG

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The widow sticker from the truck when it was new, lots of special options were put onto the truck

Last edited:

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a couple of weeks ago i went down to Peach Bottom PA and bough a great conditon green and gold bed for my truck and got it installed there too. matching colors and the bed has had line-X sprayed in it. the guy bought it off of said that the bed came of a 70k mile old man truck from southern maryland.

it was also the longest drive i did in the truck and it was my first time towing a trailer.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old cross rails were rotted

Attachments

• IMG_8619.JPG
    IMG_8619.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8622.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8623.JPG
    IMG_8623.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8625.JPG
    IMG_8625.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 9

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you've put a monitor on your 6.0 PSD yet, but if you haven't looked at coolant temp versus oil temp while you are highway driving as well as under load, you should think about it as it's a very good indicator of the condition of your oil cooler. Lots of info out there on what's acceptable and what isn't but I'm of the opinion that if you keep the oil cooler from plugging, you really don't need to stud a 6.0 PSD to get great life out of one.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lotzagoodstuff yep i have a SCT X4 tuner that also has temp gauges and can read codes. it was included with the truck. my oil cooler is in good condition and i put a coolant filter on to keep it good.

i look at it like this, if powerstokehelp can do their lifetime warranty "dealerproof" on trucks and they put on a basic coolant filter on it then it is good enough for me. i think the coolant filter was less than $150 vs a Bulletproof Diesel upgraded oil cooler system that is over $2K

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SCT is absolutely NOT a good coder reader.

ForScan is what you want for reading codes.

A coolant filter won't help a clogged oil cooler or a dirty coolant system. You need to make sure all of that is OK before you will have reliability.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance is key to these trucks my excursion has 315k miles it has its qurks but reliable it's also bone stock I think that helps a bunch too

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bismic1 well my SCT reads codes just fine plus it was free since it came with the truck, and i know my oil cooler is in good shape, and the point of putting on a coolant filter is to get the particles out of the cooling system if there is any so the oil cooler wont get clogged up.......

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bismic1 well my SCT reads codes just fine plus it was free since it came with the truck, and i know my oil cooler is in good shape, and the point of putting on a coolant filter is to get the particles out of the cooling system if there is any so the oil cooler wont get clogged up.......

I have done this a long time, on a dozen 6.0L forums, and am VERY familiar with what the SCT does and doesn't do. Actually, I have one. I also know how difficult it is to troubleshoot the 6.0L with limited information.

The 6.0L is a "different animal" than the 6.9L or 7.3L! I have owned a 6.9L and still own a 7.3L, along with my '06 6.0L.

To call the SCT an acceptable code reader just because it reads some BASIC codes is just not correct.

You are happy with it - that is all that matters. For others that encounter issues - they will want something better ........ and it is available at an inexpensive price.

The coolant filter is just a BYPASS filter. It does not filter all of the coolant flow. A full flow coolant filter is simply not possible with the 6.0L. Will a bypass filter help some? Yes. Will it provide the best reliability? Not really.

The successful 6.0L owners are the ones that truly want to dig into the facts about the engine and then address ALL the reliability issues. You are only scratching the surface - with a used truck (which always has some risk with it). You are happy with it - then enjoy it.

If you want to know about true reliability with it, then you are going to have to dig a bit deeper than you have at this point (at least THIS thread hasn't touched on many of the 6.0L weaknesses).

The SCT will get you started - ie at LEAST look at the coolant and oil temperatures when you have the engine at FULL operating temperature. Hopefully you have also verified with the SCT that all the temperature sensors are reading accurately (IAT1, OAT2, TFT, ECT, EOT).

Last edited:

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in when you said the 6.0 is more reliable than you 7.3 idi. I’ve owned mine for three years and it’s just cranking with fuel and oil changes..glow plugs.. and now I need an injector..but are the 6.0l really more reliable than an old IDI?

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He feels one way, you feel another. That isn't going to get resolved on a simple forum thread.

There are MANY 6.0L forums out there, and tons of detailed information. All this can be used to decide for yourself.

Clearly the 6.0L suffered from many problems from 2003 to 2010. Most of which there are fixes, but the 6.0L does not do well with cheap parts and poor maintenance. When you buy a used truck, you have to ask yourself "How do I make sure I am not buying someone else's problems".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01