My 1994 F-350 4x4 CC TD

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Have you had any issues with noise, dust or the pads eating up the rotors?

I agree with keeping the slides clean. One of the pads on the passenger side had begun to wear cockeyed.

I wire brushed them out and slathered the slides and pins with copper anti-seize.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of finally converting the truck to a Facet/Carter/Duralift/Transicold electric fuel pump.

I have read the popular threads but I had a question that has not been answered from the original DIY sticky.

Does the installation of an electric fuel pump help an IP that has difficulty starting after a heat soak?

Since GenLightning's supply of pumps has run out, where do you guys recommend purchasing from?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Have you had any issues with noise, dust or the pads eating up the rotors?

I agree with keeping the slides clean. One of the pads on the passenger side had begun to wear cockeyed.

I wire brushed them out and slathered the slides and pins with copper anti-seize.

no noise or dust issues for me with these brake pads.

I would think that an electric pump could help with a heat soak issue.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, does anyone else have experience with an electric pump helping a hot start issue?

It seems to me that it would help since it is sending fuel to the IP as soon as the key is turned, possibly helping to cool the IP faster rather than wait for already hot fuel to be delivered from the engine driven pump.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your IP is failing hot, wouldn't you want to fix whatever is making it fail hot, rather than "masking" the problem in this way?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2. It might keep it cooler because it pushes more fuel through it but that's not really solving the problem.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely like to fix the hot start issue properly. That is why I had my pump rebuilt by Conestoga Diesel.

The IP came back with the exact same issue.

I have done a number of things to correct it but it keeps coming back to a bad pump. My IP is out of warranty so short of installing another IP I am exploring ALL other options...again.

I have replaced the mechanical fuel supply pump, verified correct supply PSI, replaced injectors with a matched set of BB's from Mel, filled the fuel filter with sea-foam, diesel kleen, ATF numerous times, set timing to several different values, replaced return lines, inspected shower heads, FSV, IP shutoff solenoid. I've been front to back and front again on the truck and it starts flawlessly after sitting in 15*f weather for 10 days or having a bit of cool water poured on the IP head.

That is where the e-pump comes to question, just another option to explore.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got ya. How many miles are on the pump? That sure does sound like classic heat soak. Have you talked to Mel about it?

Might be ahead to start a new thread. You might get some other eyes looking at the problem and maybe get more and/or better advice.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally ordered another Moose Jr pump and a set of Moose Mate injectors.

I have one of the 1st Moose pumps from 2010. I sent the pump in with a hot start issue and it returned with a slightly better hot start problem. If you search this and other threads of mine you'll see I've battled this issue for 8 years.

I have put 50kish miles on this current IP and I am anxious to hopefully cure this ailment for good! I can't wait to use the Truck for errands around town and not have to pop the hood and dump water on the IP every time I want to get going again.

Fingers crossed!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to remove the turbo on a factory turbo truck to remove and replace the injectors and IP?
I removed it last time but it looks doable keeping it installed.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the pump can come out once the lines are off, no big deal.

That would be ridiculous to have to remove the turbo just for the IP! Of course OEMs do dumb stuff all the time like that..

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old Moose is removed and now I'm anxiously waiting for the UPS man to arrive.

I was able to remove the IP with everything attached, the top 5 b-nuts were loosened to allow the whole assembly to rotate up and out of the valley.
You must be registered for see images attach

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Junior Moose arrived and is getting readied for it's new home. Goodbye old Moose.