Muffler Delete?

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 N/A with el stock-o exhaust... I'm thinking about doing a muffler delete, but I'm worried about back pressure.

The exhaust was disconnected at a flange before the muffler (Don't ask me... PO) and made a mess of things. I had it welded back together and it runs great now. But I'm still tempted to do a delete...

Yes or no and why ;Really

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes. A diesel noes NOT need backpressure to run correctly like a gasser does.

the only down fall to straight thru exhaust is it is loud

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, okay then. :D

As for loud, that's nothing I'm not used to - had a 78 f-150 running straight pipe turned down under the bed. :angel:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I got a piece of pipe to replace the muffler. The only problem is that I cant sneak up on anybody. Its not bad at all inside the cab with the a/c rolled up. I like the sound though. It has a big block sound with the throat of a diesel. I can also make a jacobs brake sound down shifting at high rpm.

As far as backpressure, the less the better. Simple as that. You will also lower your egts and maybe squeeze out some more power. Stock exhaust is like breathing through a straw for these engines

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I got a piece of pipe to replace the muffler. The only problem is that I cant sneak up on anybody. Its not bad at all inside the cab with the a/c rolled up. I like the sound though. It has a big block sound with the throat of a diesel. I can also make a jacobs brake sound down shifting at high rpm.

As far as backpressure, the less the better. Simple as that. You will also lower your egts and maybe squeeze out some more power. Stock exhaust is like breathing through a straw for these engines

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the glass pack sound of the old gassers....just consider the fuel consumption needed to make them pipes "talk". I straight piped my truck and love it, but I like loud pipes. Its loud..make no mistake.

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of these days I am going to spend the money for duals, if you like loud, its for you. I like nothing better than pull up next to one of those "green" feel gooders and drop the hammer. I really like nothing better than get into conversation with them on "green"...
Back pressure is not a problem.. go for it

tractorman86

Reaction score
The more free flowing the better, deleting the muffler really isn't enough. IMHO What you need is atleast 3" if you've got a little money there are a some people adapting 95-97psd systems. If you can get ahold of some 4" I dumped it right in front of my back tire, my recommendation is to use some kind of muffler even a straight through will take the edge off

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with gasser style true dual exhaust, 2.5" running through a pair of the longest glasspacks i've ever seen and then angling out through some slash cut chrome tips. Definitely one of the most unique sounds around.
If I was doing it over for myself, I'd probably not do this though, as up around the trans, some of the lines to the cooler were rubbing on the pipes, which I can only assume would eventually lead to rubbing a hole in the line, pushing all my fluid out valdez-style, and massive tranny failure. Got them tied back away from the pipe till I can think of a better solution.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I bought a Diamond Eye cat-back 4" system with a nice straight-through muffler for a '97 PSD for $261 shipped. I have yet to put it on my truck though. I know theres a EXH54387 4" tailpipe at Napa for $60, but I wanted a OEM style 90 degree exit that wouldn't rub on my mudflaps.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, just thinking about how loud the 7.3 is just reminds me of a harley, but harleys have those special engines though, so special they turn fuel into noise without that byproduct of horsepower.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
DO IT!!!!!! It'll sound great.

Jacob, you make me excited that I've got some PSD exhaust coming to me....even if it is off of a 95......

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i also found out if you order a cat back kit for a gasser, it will bolt on. when i got my truck it had dual pipes out under the rear bumper. kid said he bought a kit for a 86 f250 with a 351. bolted right on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online