Mud Flaps (Don't hit me!)

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
In house? That could be dangerous, GM tried that and look at how well that worked out.

I think one of the smarter things Ford and later Dodge did was farm out their diesel engine building to people that knew how to build a good engine.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's good info though, thanks! I didn't know IH had sold out, I had assumed the Navistar name came with a merger. That's what I get for assuming. :backoff

Actually,

The International Truck and Bus Corporation is the only part of the original International Harvester (FARMALL) from the turn of the century. In 1985 when the IH Ag division was sold off to Tennaco (J.I Case) the International Harvester and IH "Man in the tractor" logo was sold to Tennaco. This is why the Engine, Truck and Bus company changed their name to Navistar, and then back to just International after they nearly went under with the name change. The last year I know I have seen the IH logo on and IDI was an 86 6.9, the 87 6.9 may have, but I have only seen Navistar on 7.3 IDI. The last IH/Navistar engine used in the Fords was the 6.4 through 2010. The new 6.7 engine is an in house Ford designed and built diesel. Also read an article that the 2016 medium duty F-Series (F-6,7,800) trucks are coming back in-house for Ford and will no longer be manufactured by Navistar as they are now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Next to the 7.3's (power stroke). The 6.7 is one of fords best electronic diesels. Actually better than the 7.3, IMO.

What diesel did gm build in-house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the low end torque that the 6.7L PSD has, although longevity remains to be seen...

What diesel did gm build in-house?
All of them, really...Detroit Diesel (the 6.2l/6.5l) was created as a division of General Motors, and was wholly owned by GM until 1988. And, the Duracrax was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu.

gandalf

Reaction score
..., the Duracrax was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu.

There was a time when GM owned a decent size portion of Isuzu. I'm not sure when that partnership ended. I have an Isuzu Trooper with a GM 2.8 engine :( . It's an '89 model.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this thread is interesting,

My bronco is a "wucker". It has Pete logos all over it and even the " uni-bilt" sleeper logo on the bumper

My 4x4 86 will be getting a "farmall turbo diesel" vinyl under the hood somewhere. I just like the nostalgia of it, and I like to be different in little stuff like that

And a small other tid bit. I work on military equipment for a living and guess who's logo is cast into the blocks and heads of the GM designed 6.5 turbo engine? That's right, nice pretty navistar diamond right under the valve covers

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '97, I used 1'X1.5" steel tube, and welded it to the side frames of the receiver hitch. I used the mudflaps for a drill template and also sandwiched the flaps between the tube and a piece of flat bar to spread the pressure to prevent the flaps from tearing around the bolt holes. In my area, mudflaps are essential or the gravel and the gumbo will eat the back of your pickup off. I pull a gooseneck stock trailer most of the time so I remove the tailgate and put a piece of lumber in place or the rocks bouncing off the trailer will eat all the paint off the tailgate. Some guys run rock tamers, but they really fill up with gumbo.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a dually pickup how low to the ground does every one run their mud flaps at ride height 3"-4"?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it look odd to have mudflaps on the front only? My Coopers are still brand new and keep picking up half inch gravel and flinging it at me when I make turns and accelerate....

They're also throwing mud all over my manual valves and lines...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this thread is interesting,

My bronco is a "wucker". It has Pete logos all over it and even the " uni-bilt" sleeper logo on the bumper

My 4x4 86 will be getting a "farmall turbo diesel" vinyl under the hood somewhere. I just like the nostalgia of it, and I like to be different in little stuff like that

And a small other tid bit. I work on military equipment for a living and guess who's logo is cast into the blocks and heads of the GM designed 6.5 turbo engine? That's right, nice pretty navistar diamond right under the valve covers

GM out sourced the 6.2L to Detroit, 81-82 were good castings. Then GM decided to buy the rights and cut corners from 83-00 GM butchered the 6.2/6.5L. Then the best thing ever happened, GM sold their 6.5L rights to Navistar and things have been on the up and up.

Now the Isuzu era of the 70's/80's GM owned part of isuzu but they didnt design those engines, isuzu engines arent bad they just arent powerhouses. Now since when did the duramax turn into a flop? Its design has been used since 01-15, when did ford keep an engine design for 15yrs (not trying to start a debate but its a proven platform).

The only diesel engine the GM might have designed on its own was the 5.7L diesel. Not the worst engine after a 5yr trial run by once loyal customers to work out the kinks. Then after Detroit designed the 6.2L GM nearly defiled it to the same status as a 5.7L

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow im glad this thread is about mud flaps... and not diesel engines. I guess ill look for mud flap info on a engine thread there may be more answers.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow im glad this thread is about mud flaps... and not diesel engines. I guess ill look for mud flap info on a engine thread there may be more answers.

The thread is an engine section so we have a loophole. lol

Someone needs to make interior/exterior areas in the forum to stop this confusion.

;Poke

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This forum's notorious for post subjects evolving onto different topics...that's actually one of the things I like about this forum; you don't generally have people get upset when a thread ventures away from a specific and narrow topic. Instead, the discussion's allowed to move organically...maybe the topic changes from the original subject, but there's still a good chance of learning something new ;Sweet

Someone needs to make interior/exterior areas in the forum to stop this confusion.
There actually is one...only thing is, it doesn't get nearly the traffic that the IDI-specific forum gets. Given that, I don't see anything wrong with people posting stuff in here that might be considered off-topic ;Sweet

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-General-Performance-Upgrades-amp-Accessories

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
There really shouldn't be any confusion, the subject title tells you before you even click on the thread that it's about mud flaps. If mud flaps are confusing then just don't click on the thread. :D