Moter locked up

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't try to crank with the starter, you can probably turn that one over. If it has not been tried before.
You won't bend a rod with trying to turn over by hand. Starter has so much torque!

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Me too!-cussAnd just for the record, when I was talking about pictures above, i was talking about the Detroit supercharger. Ive seen bent rods before so I'm not overly excited about those pictures. I'm WAY more excited about the supercharger.:Thumbs Up
Me too, I need to find someone that has already done it so i can get a good idea on how. Seen a few but still would like to find a write up on it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've seen one or two setups on here before, but it's been long enough that I can't remember much in the way of specifics. i can remember that there were problems with building boost because of the low RPMs compared to a gasser. Using a supercharger that's actually designed for a Detroit may eliminate those problems although I have no idea how much boost they will build on a Detroit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Gale Banks just did a good diesel supercharger video. Roots type blowers are...inefficient.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monster truck engines tend to turn just a few more RPMs than our IDIs though ;)
The Roots blower is indeed inefficient (and the physical design makes it hard to intercool, too). Not to mention heavy and noisy. But it sure looks neat :confused: and does have a linear boost curve compared to a centrifugal blower (which boosts as the square of the rpm).

On a Detroit the blower is intended to make very little pressure - it is there to scavenge the 2-stroke cylinders, otherwise it wouldn't run. The turbo does make boost and feeds into the blower.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Monster truck engines tend to turn just a few more RPMs than our IDIs though ;)
The Roots blower is indeed inefficient (and the physical design makes it hard to intercool, too). Not to mention heavy and noisy. But it sure looks neat :confused: and does have a linear boost curve compared to a centrifugal blower (which boosts as the square of the rpm).

On a Detroit the blower is intended to make very little pressure - it is there to scavenge the 2-stroke cylinders, otherwise it wouldn't run. The turbo does make boost and feeds into the blower.

Agreed. The blower on that duramax above was putting out 300F°+ discharge temps at 3200 crank rpm, at the ratio they were spinning it at. They tested a Whipple next, which actually was less efficient at lower rpm's but eventually crossed over and was much more efficient up top (I forget the crossover rpm, its in pt 8 of that series).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The biggest advantage of a Roots type supercharger is that there's no lag in boost. Sure they make more boost as the RPMs rise, but they don't have to have very high RPMs to start boosting.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Either way, he just wants something different. He isn't going to be winning any races with this truck, doubt he's really even going to be hauling. I still think a turbo would do everything he wants to do and more, but it isn't my truck. Just a project I am going to have to do. But I'm wondering if I will have to have something machiened so that it fits on the block and whatnot. Alot to wrap my head around. Need to get the moter out and freshened up first and get it going.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But I'm wondering if I will have to have something machiened so that it fits on the block and whatnot.
In one of the threads that I saw about this, the guy fabbed a remote mount on the passenger's side of the engine. The blower sat tilted on it's side when compared to the way they normally mount. The whole set up sat off to the side of the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online