Moter locked up

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Buddy has a 83 f350 2wd 6.9 with t19. Came home from deployment and his engine was locked up from sitting. That was 4 years ago and now wants me to try to free it up now that he is safe from ex wife getting it from him. Usual trick with the marvel mystery oil on top of the Pistons for a week and start tugging while someone in the truck works the clutch? Done it a hundred times on gassers seized up before removing and rebuilding, does same apply with these idis?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to pour a bunch of penetrating oil into the engine to try and free it, you will need to pull the glowplugs to get it into the cylinders, and I would make sure and leave the glowplugs out when trying to get it to turn over. There is very little room on top of the piston in these engines. It takes very little to hydrolock them. Other than that, the formula should be the same as you are used to with a gas engine.

pafixitman

Reaction score
When I got water in mine (cowl seal failure, discovered water in the intake) I ran MMO with AFT. As stated pulled the GP's squirted some in each hole. Let it sit overnight and tried to bar motor over. Never forced it, just repeated the process over 3 or 4 days until it would turn a full revolution. Fired it up after that.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Can't see much down there with a scope, but I don't see evidence of water. It was always garage kept. But condensation DOES happen. Thank you for all the responses. It will be another week before I can get back to this project as I have work and many projects of my own. So it should have ample time for the mmo to soak in a bit. Was thinking leaving it in 3rd or 4th gear and just rocking it since it moves around fairly easy just pushing it by hand. Clutch does engage pretty well still. But may cheat and grab the breaker bar.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use the breaker bar you will have more control than rocking it if it is something mechanical locking it up I it was mine I'd pull all the glow plugs and spray WD-40 or pbBlaster (aka panther **** ) till it came back out the hole and let it sit a few days I did this on a 6.2 for a buddy and it worked like a charm and I only used like 2 cans of pb

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, same as for a gas engine.

Why are you working the clutch instead of just putting it in neutral? (I'd block the tires, regardless.)

My favorite recipe is 50/50 ATF and WD40, then pour down the bore.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite home brew, for penetrating oil, is 50/50 ATF and acetone.

I tried that, one of those internet ideas. It does work well, but I can't seem to find a container to squirt it out of and not have the acetone evaporate over time. After that happens I am left with just ATF which doesn't work that well to loosen bolts and other things.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I once bought a peterbilt that had sat outside for 20 years and it was not locked up. Wonder your friends locked up in 4?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I once bought a peterbilt that had sat outside for 20 years and it was not locked up. Wonder your friends locked up in 4?
He used ether in it not knowing he wasn't getting fuel due to the switch valve not working. Pretty sure wen it didn't work it just cleaned all the oil off the cylinder walls and then sat.
Yep, same as for a gas engine.

Why are you working the clutch instead of just putting it in neutral? (I'd block the tires, regardless.)

My favorite recipe is 50/50 ATF and WD40, then pour down the bore.
The truck is on a flat driveway and I pushed it back by hand in neutral to make room between me and the house. Was thinking of putting it in gear and just pushing it back and fourth to try and softly rock it to loosten the motor. Seems easier than trying to fit under the truck and getting the socket on the crank bolt. Might have to pull the block anyway though cause after messing with it I seen several sun bleached empty cans of ether in the bed. Not looking forward to working on this next weekend. Bad part is I have another truck with a locked moter from just sitting forever but never ethered and garage kept I gotta work on at home for the wife

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safer blocking the wheels in neutral w/parking brake on & turn crank.
Be safer still. Loosen the glow plugs so you can't build up any pressure. Besides you have enough work to do without compression fighting you.

I think first I'd be happy enough to get it broke free enough just to wiggle a bit.

Rock it back and forth in the highest gear to get as much inertial energy possible to route from kinetic energy to torque on the engine crank.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be safer still. Loosen the glow plugs so you can't build up any pressure. Besides you have enough work to do without compression fighting you.

I think first I'd be happy enough to get it broke free enough just to wiggle a bit.

Rock it back and forth in the highest gear to get as much inertial energy possible to route from kinetic energy to torque on the engine crank.

The glowplugs should already be out to apply the penetrating oil, and they should not go back in until he has broke it loose and then cranked it over with the starter several times to clear out the cylinders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online