Moral dilemma

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i am a hardcore ford guy i quite proudly have 3 blue ovals parked in my driveway: '04 ranger, '06 escape, '94 f-250 7.3 IDI. The company i am working for wants to buy a service truck and put me in it i get to choose the truck i just don't trust the new 6.4L enough to recommend it to my boss as a reliable powerplant for a service truck because i do have the option of a new f-450 or f-550, (don't string me up) but i am kind of leaning towards the new 6.7L cummins because the cummins is more of an industrial powerplant just not sure i want a goat in my driveway. What would you do?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go with the Cummins.. Ford is not doing very well with what they have to sell. Just look back and really listen to whats happened to the Ford truck product. I too am a Ford man but the dodge with a cummins in it will be a better long term deal.. How many problems has dodge-cummins had as compared to ford-international..... Webster said it best.... Dodge... Something to be avoided!!! Sorry Travis.... I had to do it... Goat boy...:D:angel:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'd steer clear of the new fords and the duracraps, sorry to say it but the cummins is your best option at this point. The engines are great, but the trucks suck IMHO. Try to get one with a solid D60 style front axle because the front suspension on the independent style axle is worthless junk on a dodge.
So basically like I said the drivetrain is good stuff, but their suspension is lacking, or used to be anyway. I'd stay away from anything but a solid front axle.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i disagree i work for a large ford truck dealer and the problems with the 6.4 are minimal, we have sold tons of them and only a handful have had problems but they were the first ones made so we kind of expect some problems. Now they are not kown for there milage put the cummins is not doing tomuch better. Im not sure why people keep saying bad things about the 6.4 they make amazing power had have been very relible i guess people just like to trash ford:dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
DO NOT get a new 6.7 cummins.....I repeat, DO NOT. Go look at other forums with them.....I've seen way way to many guys with the trucks going down. Seems that they run to low of an RPM's, and it clogs up the turbo and DPF in no time. I've heard guys going through multiple turbo's before 10,000 miles. Only get one if you are going to delete the EGR and do a DPF delete. The 6.7 forums are looking like the 6.0 powerstroke forums of old......lots of guys going down with problems.

The 6.4 and 6.6 LMM are doing fine, having some few oddball problems here and there but nothing compared to the 6.7. Only get a cummins if its a 5.9 pre EGR and DPF, 2007 and older.

Here is a thread over at TDG. Mods if you dont like me linking to over there let me know ;Sweet. A lot of bickering but read through it, mostly the beggining and end. Thats just one thread. http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75632

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i disagree i work for a large ford truck dealer and the problems with the 6.4 are minimal, we have sold tons of them and only a handful have had problems but they were the first ones made so we kind of expect some problems. Now they are not kown for there milage put the cummins is not doing tomuch better. Im not sure why people keep saying bad things about the 6.4 they make amazing power had have been very relible i guess people just like to trash ford:dunno

Agreed ;Sweet. I would only expect a truck as fast as an 08 6.4 to get that milage. If my truck made that power I dont think it would do over 15mpg even with an overdrive.....let alone in a vehicle that weighs over a ton more than mine.

To be honest with all of you, I think the LMM is the best new emmisions engine. I havent really seen anything wrong with them. But....the truck they come in is a little on the girly man side (IFS LOL)....wouldnt want that running offroad.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
the issues i am leery of with the 6.4 is the double stacked turbo's i know that the cat acert technology is failuing largely due to the doubestacked turbo's i am also leery of the fact that the new 6.4 do not like dyed fuel the injectors clog and quite often dyed fuel is the only option those are my only issues. i would proudly operate a f-450 or f-550

FordGuy100

Reaction score
the issues i am leery of with the 6.4 is the double stacked turbo's i know that the cat acert technology is failuing largely due to the doubestacked turbo's i am also leery of the fact that the new 6.4 do not like dyed fuel the injectors clog and quite often dyed fuel is the only option those are my only issues. i would proudly operate a f-450 or f-550

Ahhh....I see ;Sweet. FYI I heard of 1 turbo failure that I can think of, and that was when they first came out.....and guys are pushing some serious boost with them when they are tuned up.

I dont think any one of them will agree with dyed fuel. Whats the sulfur rating of dyed diesel up there?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the badging make you feel queasy, get a Sterling:D It's funny as hell seeing the Sterling parked next to the Ford on the new line at MVFT:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
I can speak along the lines of a commercial operator, the Ford product is spending the most amount of time in the shop as far as the new makes goes and if a truck is not on the road its not making revenue. I don't care about what brand it is, a paperweight is a paperweight.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i still havent seen a turbo failuer on a 6.4. The only problem i have seen is a leaking radiator and we had one motor that blew up thats pretty much it. Theres a crystler dealer right down the street from us and i am friends with most of the techs there and the first gen 6.7's were in the shop all the time with check engine lights and cracked dpf. The best thing you can do is go to both dealers and drive both trucks.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Ahhh....I see ;Sweet. FYI I heard of 1 turbo failure that I can think of, and that was when they first came out.....and guys are pushing some serious boost with them when they are tuned up.

I dont think any one of them will agree with dyed fuel. Whats the sulfur rating of dyed diesel up there?

the dyed diesel is the same as regular street diesel with dye added but i have been told that the dye itself gums up the fuel system

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online