Moose Stang enters service!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
oh yeah.. seems to me that FTF has the simplest fix for the fuel fill prob - swap to the diesel fill neck :confused: sounds easy enough?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I know everything we build here in Va we don't get modified titles. Just build and register it as whatever the title says it is and have a saftey inspection. Have a nice day.

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mel i have been watching your build up and reading your posts for ideas on my 76 super cab . thats one sweet ride ;Sweet ;Sweet my truck will also be used for my painting co. thanks for the ideas!! :thumbsup: :hail

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Mel
according to what I have been told while going through state inspection school and emmisions school, the only legal way is to get the reconstructed title, or have the insp mechanic close his eyes.
as for the muffler issue, the first line in the book for undercar inspection, says vehicle must have a muffler, it DOES NOT say a turbo is a substitute for a muffler. nor does it say fancy ricer tips are either.
there is one way around your delima but I cannot post it here.
Nick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Research mesmerch. It's easier to ask forgiveness then permission. I took the pictures today. The state will be very happy with what they see. Form 426B will be submitted this week. I'll post lots of pictures as to how I got past this point, AFTER I get past this point. LOL Sorry Heath, no tach. John, I was keeping you in my back pocket as a plan B, but really didn't want to put you or my friends at my local Ford dealer in a position where their inspection license is at risk. As Joe, Nick and others who have read the DMV web site know, PA seems to be somewhere between Arnifornia, and Bamy in it's draconian vehicle laws. The problem with PA is Philadelphia, and to a lesser extend Pittsburgh. Without those two towns, all this emissions BS would have passed us by like a bad smelling fart. Unfortunately, PA has been getting tighter all along. If you take the documents literally, any suspension change, body change, engine change, drivetrain change, and on and on, all require a modified title. Note that this is NOT a reconstructed title, but the amount of work is just about the same. Fortunately, the inspection stations are more realistic in their approach to what is safe and what constitutes a serious change. I had been given the go-ahead for the conversion by my inspection station, so I thought we would be golden, but they have had their inspection license pulled a couple of times, and they changed their mind after checking into it. In the long run ,this will be worthwhile, and I'll probably figure out a way to get another improvement out of this opportunity to have the sidepipes off. Thanks for the parts those who have contributed, and let's hope the state is quick with their approvals.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
sounds like too much trouble to me, Mel... the heck with it, right? you don't need the headaches, so i say you should just send the 'Stang down to me & be done with it!
i'll get her registered :D

The frame and rear axle are destined to become another trailer. Can you say Stang Tale?
um... what about 'The Moose Caboose' ?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
that is what i was going to say, I'll buy it from you and you will not have any problems! unless it is a 96, here in my part of NC they don't care too much, and all diesel 3/4 tons are not even looked at. great job!! if i had the space i'd have to build me one!! :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
As Joe, Nick and others who have read the DMV web site know, PA seems to be somewhere between Arnifornia, and Bamy in it's draconian vehicle laws.
I'm not so sure on that one...I've never lived outside of CA, so I don't know how in-depth these vehicle inspections you guys have to go through are. But, at least the last time I checked, passenger vehicles in CA only get checked for emissions on a regular basis. They make sure you have all the factory-equipped smog equipment and make sure you pass the sniffer test, and that's it. Since diesels are (at least at the moment, but it's likely to change soon :mad: ) exempt from smog-testing, they don't even look at them at all. I had to take the Benz to a DMV when I first brought it here from Texas in '02, just so they could make sure that the vehicle was what the VIN said it was, but other than that, neither of my vehicles have ever seen any sort of official inspection.

How deeply do your guys' state vehicle inspections go?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I'm not so sure on that one...I've never lived outside of CA, so I don't know how in-depth these vehicle inspections you guys have to go through are. But, at least the last time I checked, passenger vehicles in CA only get checked for emissions on a regular basis. They make sure you have all the factory-equipped smog equipment and make sure you pass the sniffer test, and that's it. Since diesels are (at least at the moment, but it's likely to change soon :mad: ) exempt from smog-testing, they don't even look at them at all. I had to take the Benz to a DMV when I first brought it here from Texas in '02, just so they could make sure that the vehicle was what the VIN said it was, but other than that, neither of my vehicles have ever seen any sort of official inspection.

How deeply do your guys' state vehicle inspections go?
tim-
mel went from gasser to diesel.....in Kali, that is a flat out nono. That is why I am playing with a diesel blazer. cookoo for a 6.5td conversion. Passing the safety inspection is not the issue, passing an emissions test, he's going to have some explaining to do. As far as kali emissions testing, big rigs are getting checked at the scales, the heavy smoke emitters are getting red-flagged and have to go to a actual emissions test station. btw...rumour has it in '07 all diesels will start gettting tested -cuss -cuss -cuss

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
mel went from gasser to diesel.....in Kali, that is a flat out nono. That is why I am playing with a diesel blazer. cookoo for a 6.5td conversion.
Really...if that's the case, someone at the DMV lied to me. About a year ago, I was toying with the idea of dropping an OM616 (for those who don't follow the M-B board, that's a 2.4l 4-banger diesel out of a 240D) into an '83 Toyota pickup that had a 22R that had died. I called a number on the DMV website and got a hold of a representative and asked about the legality of this. He told me that all I needed to do was, after the swap, go to a DMV station to get the vehicle inspected to verify that it did in fact have a diesel installed, and they would then change the title accordingly and I would be home-free. I even asked if the new engine not being a factory option would affect this, and he said no. That project never got off the ground for other reasons (specifically, the reality of the costs and time involved hit; too bad, though; it would have been a fun lil' runabout), but if the guy was BS'ing me, I guess it's all the better that nothing materialized out of it, eh?

btw...rumour has it in '07 all diesels will start gettting tested -cuss -cuss -cuss
Are they going to exempt older engines like they did with pre-'74 g@$$ers, or are they going to start sniffing my '84? OTOH, if I have anything to say about it, I'll be long-gone by October '07 (when my truck's registration comes due)...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tim-
here's a couple of issues here. First, you are converting a pollution controlled vehicle to a declared gross polluter(diesel). Second, the model year of your engine cannot be older than the model year of the chassis. It can also be no more than five years newer than the chassis.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Mel, glad to hear things are beginning to work out for you! If it comes to it, we can register it in OH (no joke) and it seems unlikely you will have the problems you are now moving it over to PA. OH - horn, muffler (just can't get out of it :D ), turn signals and brake lights. No rev lights? No problem!! Exhaust about to fall off truck? No problem! OH just killed emissions check at the end of 2005 also ;Sweet They'll bring it back like they have before, but it will be awhile :Sly :Sly
Good Luck
James

82fordtruck

Reaction score
You guys can KEEP your coasts. What a bunch of nuts. I can't believe you put up with this stuff.

Mel, there's always Mexico. Whadda think Okie, can he get away with this down there?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I sure am glad the we have all these government agencies put in place to keep stupid people from doing stupid things, because it would be a shame if stupid people were allowed to do stupid things and killed themselves, they couldn't recieve welfare, and eventually reproduce. And that would be a shame because then they would never be able to have all sorts of kids (who have more toys then I did as a kid) only to recieve more welfare. And then their kids couldn't grow up just like mom and dad (or whichever one they live with), and grow up on welfare also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online