Moose Fleet 2010 IDI Weekend Rally Review with pictures! Part 3

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with the 4th of July over, but the actual workday holiday under way, we all went to the Windy City to see the town. The actual plan was to go to a museum, but the group decided instead to see the city, and when time is limited what better way to see it then from the top of the Sears tower. It's now called the Willis tower or something of that sort. But it will take a couple of generations for that name to catch on. For those of us not born yesterday, it's going to always be the Sears tower. After sampling Chicago traffic just a tad on the way home, I can say that there is really only one way to go to Chicago, and that's by train. Like Philadelphia, your just asking for punishment to go any other way. Getting out of the campground on time was a challenge, and we ended up pushing hard to get to the station in time. When we arrived, the train was just pulling into the station, and we all had a pretty decent sprint to get on the train. Because the train was running reverse on a double track main, we had to go all the way to the head end to get to the correct side of the train for boarding. It was a panic! However, we all made it just fine and got on board.

You must be registered for see images

Coming into Chicago, we were pacing another train. As is a common practice these days, most trains run in push-pull mode, which allows that noisy diesel to stay out from under the platform. Boo-hiss! Imagine sitting in the bed of your truck looking out over the tailgate to drive it, and you can imagine how cool this is for the engineer. I haven't met one yet that likes it, but you know how management is. :rolleyes:

We are riding in identical cars. We all sat on the upper level.

Newspaper anybody?

Coming into the station, we can see where we will be very shortly.

It was nice to see so many of the old F-40's around. They were extensively used from the 70's on by everybody, but Amtrak and many commuter roads have retired them. Metra appears to have a very healthy fleet still in use. We don't have any in Pennsylvania anymore.

Once downtown, we hoofed it to the Sears tower, crossing the canal which is surely a Chicago landmark. Lots of movies come to mind with scenes like this in them.

For now I'll have to direct you to wait until the rest of the family gets their pictures uploaded. I know there will be many shots taken from the Sears tower. Check back HERE to see more pictures from this day.

After we went to the Sears tower, we were all starving and wanted to have some famous Chicago style pizza. We went to Giordano's which is a definitive Chicago Pizzaria. We all induldged in the famous high walled stuffed pizza Chicago is known for.

Riding Metra back to the Crystal Lake station where we got on, we were apprehensive to see if A) the trucks had been towed and B) if we all got tickets. Due to the dash for the train, there was no time to pay for parking. We were relieved to find that we had gotten away with it, probably because it was a holiday and the meter maid had the day off.

More coming in Part 4.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I like Chicago very much, been there many times for work and always enjoy it. Too bad the wifey won't tolerate the midwest cold season, or else I might find myself out there someday.

Thanks for the pics, Mel, looks like a real nice day in the city!

;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it WAS windy too! Kinda got the feeling it's that way all the time. LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still a bit bummed I didn't get any Garrett's popcorn. But, I'll order some and have it shipped to the house. I'll likely order some Giordano's pizza at the same time. A little taste of Chicago at home.;Lick

Heath