Moose Fleet 2010 IDI Weekend Rally Review with pictures! Part 4

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monday, which was the Chicago trip was also the last official day of the rally. Earlier I showed you how we got there, and here is a little more of what it looked like when we were there.

You must be registered for see images

Coming in for a landing at O'hare. NOT! :eek: The view from the tallest building in the United States.

Helloooooo down there.... Oh, those ants are cars and trucks. People are too small to be seen.

Big yachts fill the harbor. 20 foot boats like mine are those little white dots.

What kind of idiot stands on a thin layer of plexiglass this high up?

This idiot. And no, I didn't volunteer. My kids made me.

After cheating death 108 floors above the earth, we made our way back to what would be our home for a solid week.

Chris and family gets an A+ from me for facilitating a campground that has the right kind of tracks at the entrance. I'll be hard pressed to meet this requirement for next year.

Taken while crossing the campgrounds private grade crossing on UP's line which services the Chrysler Jeep plant in Belvidere.

Even though the rally was over, there was still more to do. 4 families were still there for a few more days, so we just continued as if the rally was still going on. Tuesday found us swimming at Magic Waters, which is a very good water park. Tuesday is $10 day, so the place was packed, and the lines were long. We didn't get to do all the rides, but the ones we did do were a lot of fun. Ron and I always enjoy daring each other to do something stupid, and like weight lifting, it helps to have someone egging you on. Unforunately cameras and swimming pools don't mix very well, so I have no pictures from there, but if your curious you can see the web site here. The kids did the Splash Blaster and waited 2 hours in line for it, but they said it was worth it. :dunno

By Wednesday, it had been a whole day since I saw trains, so I needed to get my fix and I dragged everyone to Rochelle Illinois to visit the famous Rochelle Railfan Park. This is a city park that was put up just for Foamers like me. My wife bit her lip, and my kids winced at the thought of being forced to watch choo choo's while their girlfriends languished unattended back at the camp. Ron's clan went along with us, and they are fully converted and needed no encouragement. I've already bored all of you with a lot of train pictures, so you can look at the album if your so inclined, however I'll share a couple with you worthy of note.

Naturally, now that I was going to get serious about photography, our string of great weather days had run out, and it was actually raining. The boys talk to some famous person they met from Tennessee in the parking lot.

The Moose Truck must atone. The deal with God is he will let me keep it, as long as mother nature can rust it out just a little more each year. :rolleyes:

This little Whitcomb industrial unit probably wishes someone would take IT to a rally some day.

I wasn't looking forward to taking photos of this rabbit dying, but I figured if it was going to happen, I may as well get it so his little life would be remembered.

Ever see a rabbit do 50 MPH without being from Germany? I have. And so has the Grimm Reaper in the form BNSF ES-44-DC as it tries to run him down, but he stays off the rail and stays alive.

The rally wrap-up in part 5.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
after seeing these and finding out u are a railway person, why not see if we can hit some of the coal mine tours next year.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not out of the question, but a 3 hour road trip may make it difficult. We DID do a coal mine related activity in 08'.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A Rabbit catcher on the front of an engine.... Nope... Never gonna happen...:sly:D

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Lookin at your webshots...looks like Mr Peabody''s coal train in some of the shots.

"And daddy won't you take me back to Mulenberg county
Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay
Well I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in askin'
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away "

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Been a while since I've seen any yellow Peabody hoppers, but they do exist.

Here is another cool shot, sort of out of order but I thought I'd just share it now anyway. Graham shot this from the Night Moose as they convoyed back with us. Crappy lighting, and focus, but he snapped it right as I gunned it, so all you who want to know about Moose Pump smoke can see what it looks like. Keep in mind, we are doing like 70 MPH.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Mel you big sissy its only 103 storys to the skydeck and that thin plexiglass is 1.5" thick and can hold 5 tons LOL I wanna go back again we took amtrak to arizona and walked over during our lay over back when I was 13 or 14 so we been talking about doing it again so I hope its a nice day again so we can check out those platforms

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookin at your webshots...looks like Mr Peabody''s coal train in some of the shots.

"And daddy won't you take me back to Mulenberg county
Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay
Well I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in askin'
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away "

Ah, good 'ol John Prine eh Don? "Paradise" is the unoffical song of Muhlenberg county, Kentucky, my home.;Sweet There is now a TVA power plant where Paradise, Ky and Peabody coal mine used to be. It's right on the Green River and coal bardges still run coal (as well as trucks) to the plant. I've been to Adrie hill and walked around the old Civil War prision and iron forges there. Dad worked at that very Peabody coal mine for years.

The story behind the song is that John Prines parent's were from Paradise when it was actually a town. But, Peabody literally mined the town away.

Anyway, love the song and John Prine. Thanks for the posts Mel.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Heath,
I thought I would get a response from you on this. You're just a few miles from the old Paradise site aren't you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online