Monroe gas Magnum

ludite

Reaction score
Greetings,
A while ago I bought a set of these shocks and finally got around to installing them, the rears are good but the fronts don't seem to offer any damping at all, very bouncy. Has anybody else ran these? I can do a warranty exchange on them but don't want to deal with installing another set if they're known to be too soft for our trucks. I see the same part number for gas engine f150s too. 34729 is the part number.
Thanks

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience they seemed to work ok on a bullnose f150 with a small block for a few months before being totally worn out. I also have a set on my wife's 2000 f250 powerstroke, had about the same results on it. I do drive some very rough county roads so I'm sure that contributes to the short lifespan. But I wouldn't recommend them for use.

James

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Others will chime in I’m sure, but I’ve installed lots of shocks including Monroe Gas Magnums. Your performance description is typical.

IMNSHO, when it comes to these trucks, you can buy Bilsteins or spend less and get less performance.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others will chime in I’m sure, but I’ve installed lots of shocks including Monroe Gas Magnums. Your performance description is typical.

IMNSHO, when it comes to these trucks, you can buy Bilsteins or spend less and get less performance.
Bilstein is what I was planning to try next.

James

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear Fox offer good performance as well? Or are they seem to be inferior to Bilstein?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried bilsteins on mine and they were too stiff for me. They were ok on the front, but the rear was so light, I would actually get axle bounce on some bumps, even on pavement. It was brutal on gravel roads or potholes. If I was hauling a camper or some other weight it might have been ok.

I ended up buying Motorcraft shocks from Rockauto.com and have been very happy with them. The truck rides soft and is nearly immune to washboard, provided I also air-down to about 40 PSI (again, empty truck).

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Bilsteins, yellow magnums, and rancho 5000's have been a wash for me - no real difference. (Dodge with cummins and leaf-sprung dana 60 for reference.)

ludite

Reaction score
I had Bilstein 4600s on my last truck and didn't find them particularly impressive, I had an old man emu kit on a frontier before that and it handled so nice, they use a shock manufactured by Monroe supposedly so I thought I'd be good here. I'll probably keep em for a while anyways but it's a bit disappointing to say the least.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ludite my guess is that the quality has probably gone to crap like everything else. Back in the day I had always heard Monroe was a really good option. Probably outsourced to China like everything else.

James

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Fox and King are going to be your best performing, but most expensive by a lot. I have heard if you go with Bilstein you want their 5100 series, but I have never run any of them so cant comment from personal experience. From what I hear Rancho, Bilstein and Monroe are all pretty close.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow monroes were good back in the day, their quality went to crap half a dozen years ago, and we've had early failures from a lot of them. We switched to installing kyb reds(monomax) on pickups now, and they seem to perform and last alright.