Moms Crew Cab too DANGEROUS to Drive. Help!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this might sound a little dubd but here goes.

When I did my D60 swap, I found my truck to loose in the front. It seemed to wander and weave so I blamed it on a bad ball joint. So I replaced ALL the steering gear and all 4 ball joints. It seemed a little better, but not fixed.

When I put the 4" blocks under the rear to match the height gain from the F350 front springs, it COMPLETELY went away.

What is the carrier bearing like? Is the rubber all gone, bearing inside bad? This sounds like a driveline issue. When I had my shaft shortened it was so bad it wasn't funny!!! Don't just stop at the front end, check EVERYTHING. What are the rear wheel bearings like?
That's changing the caster. and yes, that is one way of changing the caster. once again, specialty products does have wedge

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Hey Brad you've talked about caster once before. Both shops I've gone to around here say you can't adjust caster on a D60. They said its a bushing that is pre set and when its worn out you replace it, there's simply no adjustment to it. I've argued with them about it but I don't know what to tell them other than you guys have said the caster is adjustable.

The caster can be adjusted .

Apparently the shops you go to are complete morons. For a BJ axle you cab get fixed caster/camber slugs or you can get adjustable ones(i would get adjustable ones) You can also get degree shims that go between the axle and leaf springs, just like what you would put in the rear to get a better pinion angle.

For the
KP axle the only way i know is using the degree shims.

but as stated before. Check everything else yourself first

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing after i did the d60 swap and i went through tons of money replacing everything and stilll did it till i changed steering stabilizer i went to a dual setup and hasnt happened again

the stabilzer is just masking your problems. there is NO NEED or a stabalizer on these trucks if everything is tight and right

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like U-joints to me. I Have seen and fixed many fords with stiff or dry u-joints do exactly what you described. Even with them unlocked! And Yes caster is adjustable in the balljoints or axle shims.

JPdrvinmylfawy

Reaction score
the stabilzer is just masking your problems. there is NO NEED or a stabalizer on these trucks if everything is tight and right

My truck does sit " bulldog " about 2 in wonder if that could be some of the prob?? never thougt about that... i did upper and lower kingpins, spring eye busings, trac bar and bushing, all steeing bars and ball joints, and still did till stabilizer.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like U-joints to me. I Have seen and fixed many fords with stiff or dry u-joints do exactly what you described. Even with them unlocked! And Yes caster is adjustable in the balljoints or axle shims.

Its funny you bring that up Rob. My buddy almost crashed his truck the other day due to a frozen u-joint not letting him turn the wheel:eek:

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed a truck for a friend a couple years ago that almost put me in the ditch bringing it home:eek:

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, all of the above. My had it bad, on the way home from buying I found this out.
re-did the king pins, helped but no fix
shocks, helped but no fix
tires, helped but no fix
spring bushings (but not the trac bar), helped a lot but didn't fix it.
tightened the wheel bearings tighter, corrected the problem.

Things to do:
caster shims and trac bar bushings, maybe a shackle reverse if I can figure out how to do it without lifting it.

All of this has been mentioned above, but I'll go with ball joints and bearings a little loose.
There is also a couple companies making ball joints with no nylon race. The nylon race is probably being beat with the larger tires and 7.3 weight on top of it, this might be adding to lots of extra play. And did the shop do it right when it was rebuilt? I'd hope so but it's very hard to know unless you do it, really hate to say that.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Since no one has mentioned it, how are the shackles and hangers in back?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
are you postitive you dont have a bent rim, off balance tires, or lug nuts that are stripping? just trying to make sure basics are covered before you bury a bunch of money into front end parts

tknomaj

Reaction score
Hey Brad you've talked about caster once before. Both shops I've gone to around here say you can't adjust caster on a D60. They said its a bushing that is pre set and when its worn out you replace it, there's simply no adjustment to it. I've argued with them about it but I don't know what to tell them other than you guys have said the caster is adjustable.

sorry but the shops that are telling you that caster is not adjustable are IDIOTS. Special bushings are mass in different degrees of offset for correction. they even make two piece units to adjust caster and camber. Great for mall crawlers but will get loose and move in off road use. Fix the front end and find a good alignment shop

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My bet is the trac bar bushings are toast, been there - done that and burned the t-shirt....Goofy's, my buddy Brian's truck and my 91 all suffered this issue....My bar felt tight and looked ok until I removed it to change the bushings...Mushy soft as **** rubber compared to the new bushings.

Outside of that does it correspond to throttle application or coasting? How are the engine mounts and tranny mount? Have you checked the wheel bearings and front rims? How about the u-joints and steady bearing for damage or missing balance weights? How old are the front shocks? 10MPH is pretty slow for a shake to be caused by speed so something should stick out like a sore thumb.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score

I agree with this IF the tires are close to original size. Nebraska didnt tell us what size tires are on it. Larger tires will increase the DW affect. Stabilizers help reduce the effect the larger tires can have.

If the DW is compounded or started by driving over a bump, its loose parts or a stabilizer is needed with bigger tires.

My 2wd has a stabilizer. One of the first things I did. Tires are taller than stock.