Mixing diesel and WMO, or just dump into tank?

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are you guys doing to mix together? Do you just dump in the oil into the fuel tank? Or are you pre-mixing the deisel and oil in a container first?

I just got my barrell pump and filters all ready to filter used oil and I never thought about it until right now.

Just curious what you are doing.

The set-up I chose to use for filtering the oil is a pump that puts 10psi into the barrell and it will force the oil out of the upper spout that extends right to the bottom of the barrel with a hydraulic strainer ( #100 stainless mesh) on it. Where the upper spout should be I hooked up a 150, 25, and a 10 micron filter in line. So hopefully this will work ok, pump is rated at 12 gallons per minute pumping hydraulic oil. This # is just free with no restrictions, so it will be intresting to see what the filters and thicker oil do to the flow.

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I just added WMO to the tank after ensuring I had a half tank of diesel. I dont feel comfortable with much more than that.

Thad

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on running no more than 50/50 too.

I just tried my filtering set-up, and with the used 15-40w oil I have sitting outside in -8 weather today, It was close to 1 1/2 minutes pumping 1 gallon. Abit slow, but ohwell, atleast I don't have to do it every day.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I start on diesel then switch to my other tank which has the oil. I mix about 15% rug with the oil to thin it out. Cuts down on smoke.

spyder1100

Reaction score
i have a 100 gal aux tank that I fill with 100% WMO in the summer, and 75% WMO 25% #2 in the winter. In the winter I start and stop on diesel. in the summer, even with 100% WMO, it starts just fine either way.

Just filter it well, and make sure you get any water out. Usually after the aux tank is empty, I'll run through a tank of diesel with Diesel Service to "blow out" any carbon. On a side note, I get alot better mileage on WMO than I do on #2. About twice as far on a Factory of WMO compared to a factory tank of #2.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just ordered a 275 gallon storage container for my WMO setup. i just need to figure out how to setup my filter and pump method and ill be good to go. i figure ill start out at 25% wmo to 75% while its colder and go 50/50 once it warms up and then go from there to see if it can handle more than a 50/50 ratio but i plan on always starting up and shutting down on # 2

pcpotter

Reaction score
Curiosty has gotten the best of me

If y'all are about what I think you are WMO stands for waste motor oil am I correct on that and if so this is something I have thought about from time to time because I can get a good supply of used motor oil where I work but I didn't know how to mix it or how it would work or if it would work and I haven't been able to find anyone around me that knows. I will keep watching the post on this.
Thanks

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it works very well just make sure you filter down to at least 5 microns. i know some ppl heat it and then filter it and some others just filter it either by gravity or a pump set up. ive just gravity filtered so far but im tryin to set up a filtering set up. i just ordered a 275 gallon storage tank so i can really get it going.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been known to just pour it in the tank with no filtering. The main detriment to that, I have learned, is you will periodically have to drop your tank and clean out the pickup. :puke: I only filter to 10 microns through a spin on filter that is part of my "gas station". LOL