Misc ramblings

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Just wanted to post some information on my experience with the gear change...

Drove to deer camp, about 2 hours (longest drive I've taken my IDI on as well) and all went well. Having had 3.55's and 4.10's, both for quite sometime, I have to tell you, neither compare to the 3.73's. At the rally in Kentucky, several of us talked about the gears in these trucks and pretty much all agreed 3.73's were about perfect. I have to tell you, for me, they are! I drove up some pretty steep grades in W.VA. and the truck pulled in 4th. gear without breathing hard or losing speed. I was able to run 60-65 never floorboarding the fuel feed. Even with the 4.10's, I had to work the truck much harder, I think the 3.73's are just the sweet spot for where my particular engine makes power, around 2200-2600 RPM's. These grades with the 3.55's would have required at least 3rd gear possibly 2nd and with a great loss of speed. The 4.10's would have required the engine to work hard and fuel feed to be pushed nearly through the floor.

Now, I need to get a speedo gear for this ratio and my worthless local stearlership says the only thing available is for 4.10's and that's all they put in these trucks. Since my truck was bone stock with 3.55's, I know he's full of cow manure.

The camp is about 2 miles off the beaten path, of course, it's all down hill once you role through the gate, which makes it easy to get into, but not so much getting out! It rained the whole two days we were there, and honestly, having been stuck in wet grass in 2wd prior to the limited slip install, i was getting quite worried! I could just picture the camping trip becoming my new address once I buried a 7500 lb truck! When I topped the hill and made the gate, I have to admit I was all smiles. My girlfriend said she thought I was having lots of fun, and I was! We went through some pretty nasty stuff then up about a 1/2 mile hill that was nothing but steep and mud! Truck performed flawlessly other than one hitch going in. I shifted into 4X4 in the middle of a pretty severe mudhole...the transfer case shifter linkage popped off on the tcase end (Ford engineers and those little plastic bushings...sucks!). And of course, it didn't come off before shifting the tcase into neutral...so before it even got good, I had to crawl in the mud! Needless to say, I'm making a heim joint setup for this POS prior to going back to camp!

Camp is pretty cool. I bought into a limited lease, 800 acres, 12 leasee who are each allowed to bring one guest, so we have 800 acres between a max of 24 people to hunt on. It is bordered by a nice stream as well, so we can fish, etc. Now I'm looking for a low cost camper that I can gut and just park there. There is no electric hookups, etc. so just need something to sleep in, stay warm in and maybe a stove to cook a meal.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm looking for a low cost camper that I can gut and just park there. There is no electric hookups, etc. so just need something to sleep in, stay warm in and maybe a stove to cook a meal.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you go find yourself an enclosed utility trailer and fix it up however you want it. I can go buy a brand new 7x16 (last years model) trailer for $3300, or go buy a brand new Wells Fargo landscaping enclosed trailer (heavy duty with lader racks) for under $4500. When we were looking for a camper, even crappy little pop ups were running $2,000 or more. We found a used 6x14 that had already been converted to a camper for $2,300. We've only used it a couple of times over the last 2 years (new baby). Now I'm re-arranging the layout for more sleeping space and hopefully we can start camping like we had originally planned :) All you really need to do to an enclosed trailer is run some power (don't just use terminal strips), throw in a portable toilet, something to sleep on, some plastic storage drawers from wally world, a microwave, minifridge, and an electric heater. Of course if you are at camp, you may be able to skip a lot of that since electricity probably isn't available.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY recommend that you go find yourself an enclosed utility trailer and fix it up however you want it. I can go buy a brand new 7x16 (last years model) trailer for $3300, or go buy a brand new Wells Fargo landscaping enclosed trailer (heavy duty with lader racks) for under $4500. When we were looking for a camper, even crappy little pop ups were running $2,000 or more. We found a used 6x14 that had already been converted to a camper for $2,300. We've only used it a couple of times over the last 2 years (new baby). Now I'm re-arranging the layout for more sleeping space and hopefully we can start camping like we had originally planned :) All you really need to do to an enclosed trailer is run some power (don't just use terminal strips), throw in a portable toilet, something to sleep on, some plastic storage drawers from wally world, a microwave, minifridge, and an electric heater. Of course if you are at camp, you may be able to skip a lot of that since electricity probably isn't available.

I thought about that, but worried about heating it. We will be there in the winter mostly and need to be able to warm up. Honestly, I thought about just building small "shack" and doing exactly like what you said. I could put a decent little place together and have a buddy that does rubber roofing that says he can source rubber roofing from scrap to do a shack the size I'm considering. Could haul it all in in pieces and bolt it together.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I've only used mine when I go pheasant hunting in November. When it's down in the 20's at night, one milk house style heater will keep it half way decent, but two will really get it toasty. These are the 1200 watt $15 jobs you get at wally world. Like I said though, if you don't have electricity, those won't do much for you.

Honestly, you can insulate these things, and anything that would heat your shack would heat an enclosed trailer just as well. You're not going to want to have an actual fire in it, but other than that, it's easy enough to heat. On mine, the guy just used a light colored paneling inside (the kind that already has wall paper on it), and put that silver bubble wrap in the sealing and then some plastic corrugated material to make it look better. He added two cabinet units, one of them with a sink. He added a gray tank, and a black tank (both of which I took off immediately). It has 3 windows, and indoor/outdoor carpeting. He put a window AC unit in it and cut a big ol hole in the side for it to vent too. He covered the hole all right, but I would have rather paid for a roof mount unit so that I could have the floor space back. I may fix that down the road, we'll see.

I go in a few weeks before hand and vacuum it out and wash the bed sheets (I use a Futon right now, but will be replacing that with a Foam mattress). It can also serve me as a toy hauler (atv), or if I want to empty it out and use it as an actual trailer, I can do that too. After owning this, I can't see why anyone would spend money on an actual RV unless they are buying one of those big 35 foot units.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online