Mis-matched injectors

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I pulled my injectors last night, and saw some interesting crap. I was expecting leaking, coked injectors, but there weren't any. I did see that the driver's side four where United Technologies "B" and they were very clean. The passenger's side were CAV "BB" and #3 and #5 had heat discoloration on the nozzle. I still need to have my new Delphi BB pop tested before installing. Should I be concerned about the cylinders #3 and 5?

Thanks,

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually it's #7 and #8 cylinders that tend to run hotter cause how oil mist "flows" around the intake plenum, so if anything I'd expect to see head-discoloration there. On the other hand #3 and #5 cylinders are right next to each other - does anyone know of a head gasket failure that can cause two adjanced cylinders to get higher combustion temperatures?

I realize this is not where you were going with the thread, I'm just thinking out loud...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to run a pressure test but could just be old injectors that werent shutting completely and thus letting heat through them? I would figure that since they are mismatched, the BB's could be older than the B's

I read you can tell by hotte than normal fuel lines if I remember but someone more seasoned can tell for sure.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hot injection lines are caused by combustion gases leaking past the needle and entering the body of the injector, so yes, that would be a tale-tell sign of an injector failing to close properly.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Ill ask a stupid question. I pulled one of my injectors today out of my truck, just for the hell of it since I was in there. It is a Standyne with a date of 10-93 stamped on it and a G code. Its a 94 IDI with turbo. They are pretty nasty when i pulled em out. The guy i bought the truck from said he had replaced em along with the glow plugs. Think he was lying? Or are the chances slim that these were rebuilt somewhere along the 190,000 mi. I was getting around 16 mpg with my 4.10 gears running round 70mph with the a/c on. Maybe a switch would help with the gas mileage and my 3.55's? Should I go with G codes or go to a BB?

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should know in a couple weeks how the new injectors affect my mileage. I am still trying to stop a return line leak on #8. It sounds and smells different already. I think I'll be able to put 20 - 30 miles on it tonight and see how it responds. Thanks for your replies. With a good set of injectors, pump and time, is there any reason these trucks shouldn't get 20+ MPG with a light pedal?

Thanks,

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Ill ask a stupid question. I pulled one of my injectors today out of my truck, just for the hell of it since I was in there. It is a Standyne with a date of 10-93 stamped on it and a G code. Its a 94 IDI with turbo. They are pretty nasty when i pulled em out. The guy i bought the truck from said he had replaced em along with the glow plugs. Think he was lying? Or are the chances slim that these were rebuilt somewhere along the 190,000 mi. I was getting around 16 mpg with my 4.10 gears running round 70mph with the a/c on. Maybe a switch would help with the gas mileage and my 3.55's? Should I go with G codes or go to a BB?

a guy on here told me the other day to go with ''bb'' code over ''g'' code because ''g'' code were emisions injectors or something??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its true about the G codes being an immissions type injector. Most here have found the BB code injectors to be the better type but... By far the Moose Misters are going to outdo anything on the market...:D

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Its true about the G codes being an immissions type injector. Most here have found the BB code injectors to be the better type but... By far the Moose Misters are going to outdo anything on the market...:D

yes but if you dont have almost $1000 for a set, then BB codes are the way to go

wbw189

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. I found four of the new injectors loose after a test drive and the truck was idling rough. I pulled each injector, cleared the bore and retorqued to 35 lb/ft. I still have two small leaks in the return line set. My second test drive showed huge improvement in drive and smoke is now black instead of gray. Thanks to everyone who posts to teach to rest of us!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that issue a few times, my injectors kept backing out. Clean bores tho, and new copper washers, so dunno why they did this. But they are torqued to way more than 35lb-ft now, that was the only way they'd stay put...