Mineral Spirits for Honing?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I can't remember what I'm supposed to use to flush the cylinder hone as I'm honing the cylinders? Is it mineral spirits?

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like automatic trans oil or diesel fuel. Just my .02 cents

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I think* we used 50/50 engine oil and solvent the oil was to lube and the solvent was there to wash away the filings from the hone

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Money is REAL tight for this project so I guess I'll be using diesel fuel since I have allot of it. lol

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the Saturn dealer we used Tide laundry soap & water and scrubbed it with a toilet brush (I know, but it works great) Then sprayed it all down with brakeclean and lubed the cylinders with motor oil.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea mineral spirits is good to get rid of residue and shavings, then lube up with oil before installing your piston.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Plenty of great ideas... One thing to remember is the piston oil cooling jets require some thread locker on those special bolts so they wont loosen up. If you buy them new from Ford they come with a drop on blue loctite on them.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF is good for cleaning the bores, I have been surprised after using solvent etc, and thinking they were pretty clean, then wipe the bores with a rag soaked in ATF and it comes out dirty.... I always do that as my final cleaning, keep wiping til the rag comes out clean as it goes in.
I got this from a buddy who worked in a rebuild shop.
JwS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just don't buy most of that information... First off no hone I use will cut a 2 thousands deep hill and valley in the cylinders. I do agree with the smooth bore but running cast iron rings is not what most will do. They wear lots faster... But the cylinder bore stays true longer. So if cast iron rings are used you wont need a rebore but you will need new cast iron rings more often. Yes... Thats cheaper than reboreing but our diesels run almost forever. Still interesting reading...

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per most OE diesel manuals I've read they recommend a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and 30 wt engine oil and a berry hone NOT a stone hone for deglazing old bores.

In my experience you will get far longer service from a a ****** ring job if you properly crosshatch the walls with a fine berry hone and slap any old rings in that have tension (even if you spring them out by hand) as opposed to putting new rings in a smooth, glazed bore.

I use dawn and water to wash the cylinder walls.

Also, if you're using the correct grit hone for deglazing and finishing there's no way in hell you're going to remove .002" of material. You might get a tenth off the surface by the time you get a good crosshatch.

Also, your pattern is critical. If you lack the knowledge of how to use a hand hone don't touch one. A bad crosshatch intersection angle means it's all for nothing.