Mel/typ4 pumps/injectors

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Paging both of you! My truck is being called on to pull a trailer in the fall to norco/corona (his purchase "birthplace" a year ago!) via the 15 and two steep passes. For this, i'm being offered a new injection system since it's tired.

I need a stock or mild injection pump. Nothing requiring a intercooler. I do have a hypermax turbo. Need proper injectors also. Again, nothing wild. I'd rather take my time then blowtorch the engine...

85 6.9 diesel, hypermax turbo, 3.54? Gearing, gear vendors od behind a C6

Do you have kit deals? Would like viton orings in the injector oring kit if possible.

I hope this turns into a example thread for others what to purchase. Didn't really have any luck finding concrete info.

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both Russ and Mell offer a great stock pump and Bb code injectors. Mel can also make a Moose pump burn the tires off your truck too with his other pump offers. He also has the famous Moose Misters injectors. Both offer pop tested Bb codes too. Russ can get a pump built to what you want or need too. Nothing these 2 offer is an engine killer either but you need to understand there are limits too. Watching the pyro with any improvements pulling a grade is necessary.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A member here is selling a bull moose pump in the marketplace. Fairly cheap and low mileage, IIRC.

May see if Mel would honor the warranty if you were to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets face it, if we wanted an engine that would squeal the tires at every light, we wouldn't drive our IDIs. We work our trucks and get great mileage, good power, and wonderful dependability with the engine as designed. I think a nice matched set of pump and injectors would wake things up and show you a truck hidden under the one you are driving now. And paying a little more for a better quality product is worth it's weight...

If I could afford a new pump and injectors at this moment, I would gladly order from Mel.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the passion we all have for our trucks, Mel is one (along with Russ) who is passionate about and can do something on a grander scale than the rest of us with regards to parts. Which is also the way ADV is with his milled return caps, which was an INCREDIBLE improvement in itself on my truck. These are only three examples of those who have given contributions to our "world". But I am definitely sure I am missing so many others who have given great contributions in technology and even just by being a sounding board to the frustrated.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM both of them...or go to www.conestogadiesel.com to reach Mel, PM Russ those are the best methods to reach members instead of publicly posting like this, it's not that they don't stop in but PM is direct!

Just an FYI

Al

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you need help with install or timing when the time comes. As long as we can get our schedules to work together, I'm happy to help!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Opusd2. you make a good point bout squealing the tires at every lite. Just because we can does not mean we have too. What Mel makes is really something above what others make. He also makes the best stock injection pump too. But his stock is far superior to any others on the market besides a new Stanadyne injection pump. Whens the last time anyone saw an actual new injection pump. I'm betting not ever. Uhaul listed some but it turned out not to be from a few years back. I was really looking to buy one but missed out on it. Those that did get one found issues but they got that taken care of nicely. Uhaul stands behind what they sell on ebay. Dave does not let anyone down. I have run 2 of the famous Moose pumps. I can burn rubber at every start but I don't. Its a horrible strain on the 3:55 gear to do it but it will do it whenever I ask for it. sure gives the guy trying to sneak thru an intersection on the right turn lanes in their beemers. I'm not beaten many times off a stop lite if I'm on my game. But thats me. I'm older than many on this site and drive like it. I usually "give" the right of way to those that take it away from me. But just every once in a while I let er fly. Too bad I don't have propane on a switch. then I could add a soot bath to the street flogging I give the imports...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Let me know if you need help with install or timing when the time comes. As long as we can get our schedules to work together, I'm happy to help!

timing will be the biggest help. Think I know enough to get myself into trouble with the rest! Just gotta figure out proper injection pump removal so I don't screw up the balanced gears in the front. While he's underneath the knife, i'll also put on the good electric fuel pump, headlight harness, etc.

Is timing responsible for affecting the rpm indicator? I got a cluster with a tach in it, and will install the sender. Don't know if it has any bearing on that

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Besides the passion we all have for our trucks, Mel is one (along with Russ) who is passionate about and can do something on a grander scale than the rest of us with regards to parts. Which is also the way ADV is with his milled return caps, which was an INCREDIBLE improvement in itself on my truck. These are only three examples of those who have given contributions to our "world". But I am definitely sure I am missing so many others who have given great contributions in technology and even just by being a sounding board to the frustrated.

it's my dream actually to (possibly, haven't worked out the logistics) to setup a diesel shop and teach folks how to repair them and the like. Maybe even kids. Sorry, but... due to regulatory climates, insurance, etc that is a long way down the road.

Big chunk of land in the middle of nowhere and lots of old diesels! (greyhounds, trailways coaches, any kind of 70's semi, etc. Fun fun!)

I'll at least have a shop for my vehicles (big and small) and enough tools to make everyone jealous. Bring your truck, respect my tools, and have it! Provide your own parts (unless i'm lucky to have a ton of spares) and get cracking!

A puppy can dream...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
A 90cc IP and a fresh set of injectors coupled with an intercooler makes for a dang strong reliable runner! :D

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
A 90cc IP and a fresh set of injectors coupled with an intercooler makes for a dang strong reliable runner! :D

is it mandatory for that? I can't find a concrete answer between a stock pump and a mid range one. A intercooler is in the plans, but down the road. Don't want to miss with that currently. Got a isspro boost/pyro, so i'm good there

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing shouldn't affect operation of the tach. Screw in the sensor and wire it up and it should work. There's a great article in the Tech article section that I used to guide me through my first IP/injector swap and kept me from screwing anything up too bad.

Let me know when/if you need help setting the timing!

Ryan

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
is it mandatory for that? I can't find a concrete answer between a stock pump and a mid range one. A intercooler is in the plans, but down the road. Don't want to miss with that currently. Got a isspro boost/pyro, so i'm good there

Personally I wouldn't go as high as 90cc without an upgraded turbo, and an intercooler. However that's just me. Mel does sell the Jr Moose, which is a little hotter than stock, but not as hot as the bull moose. (which is 90cc IIRC) It's an idea for a pump that you can run right now. (you'll need to watch you EGT.) Then it would definitely benefit from the addition of an intercooler down the road.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't go as high as 90cc without an upgraded turbo, and an intercooler. However that's just me. Mel does sell the Jr Moose, which is a little hotter than stock, but not as hot as the bull moose. (which is 90cc IIRC) It's an idea for a pump that you can run right now. (you'll need to watch you EGT.) Then it would definitely benefit from the addition of an intercooler down the road.

I have a turbo. The hypermax one you commonly find bolted on. So unless I need a new out of the box hypermax, i'm covered?

I have a care regime for my truck, but don't ***** foot him either. He is built to haul, not tend gardens all the time! :sly When a truck had to be rented, I still followed a turbo cool down period at a rest stop with it, etc. Treat it as I would my own for success...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online