Mel/typ4 pumps/injectors

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give Mel a call. I was unsure if a baby moose or junior moose would work best for me. I don't tow, but at my elevation (6200ft) I needed to be able to get out of my own way. Every way out of here involves a pass and a gain of 1500 or more feet. I was told the baby moose could be turned up if more fuel was needed, but turning a junior moose down (or up) would mess up the calibration. I am happy with the baby moose. Mel calibrated it for a turbo. I have not turned it up. After almost 20 years of driving these things NA I can finally roll these passes in 4th gear, keep up and not smoke out the place.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
is it mandatory for that? I can't find a concrete answer between a stock pump and a mid range one. A intercooler is in the plans, but down the road. Don't want to miss with that currently. Got a isspro boost/pyro, so i'm good there
I have run the same IP with and without an intercooler. Without, I could reach thermonuclear temps pulling a heavy load. With the intercooler, I can't get the pyro beyond 1100 degrees pulling the same heavy load.
Very noticeable difference!

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't go as high as 90cc without an upgraded turbo, and an intercooler. However that's just me. Mel does sell the Jr Moose, which is a little hotter than stock, but not as hot as the bull moose. (which is 90cc IIRC) It's an idea for a pump that you can run right now. (you'll need to watch you EGT.) Then it would definitely benefit from the addition of an intercooler down the road.

A Moose Junior puts out 90cc. I'm running one with a factory turbo, new Delphi BB's, and no intercooler. It works great for me. An intercooler would be nice, but is not definitely needed. A Bull Moose puts out 100cc's and while not necessary, an intercooler is highly recommended so you're not sweating the egt's all the time.

http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is there no "concrete" data on what a part can do? the answer is simple. there is no single "magic pill" for all applications. For example, you(mojavewo????) are running a truck set up for economy hauling, not towing. the results on adding a hi-volume output pump is going to be very different than a guy who has a truck set up for towing. there are some standards to these trucks though. how you get there depends on your powertrain combo. here's the list....
1) high EGT's are your enemy.
2) overfeuling is the common cause, but you can control it with your throttle foot.
3) even though it may not make sense immeadiately, a larger pump will give you the option to go for a larger turbo without having to re-pump.
4) an intercooler is your best friend for keeping EGT's down to where you do not have to keep one eyeball superglued onto the EGT gauge.
5) re-gearing your rear end to 4.10 or 4.63 will help extend your haul ratings and help keep your engine revving more and lugging less.
good luck.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
why is there no "concrete" data on what a part can do? the answer is simple. there is no single "magic pill" for all applications. For example, you(mojavewo????) are running a truck set up for economy hauling, not towing. the results on adding a hi-volume output pump is going to be very different than a guy who has a truck set up for towing. there are some standards to these trucks though. how you get there depends on your powertrain combo. here's the list....
1) high EGT's are your enemy.
2) overfeuling is the common cause, but you can control it with your throttle foot.
3) even though it may not make sense immeadiately, a larger pump will give you the option to go for a larger turbo without having to re-pump.
4) an intercooler is your best friend for keeping EGT's down to where you do not have to keep one eyeball superglued onto the EGT gauge.
5) re-gearing your rear end to 4.10 or 4.63 will help extend your haul ratings and help keep your engine revving more and lugging less.
good luck.

Just wanted to know if it's a good pump idea to go up the spectrum some. That was difficult to find, but i've complied enough to make a decision now. Why the ??? About mojave/mohave btw?

I baby my equipment. Treat it right, it treats me right. There is a lot I want to do down the road that involves major expenses. I'd like to rip it down to the frame as a example and refresh everything. Well worth it. Plus I gain knowledge to help others. Win win.

I do appreciate everyone's help on here. Wish I could have more info to offer assistance, but not to that level yet

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
i couldn't reference away from the page to spell your name right. so I did the best I could on a bad butcher job. the "???" was nothing more than fair warning.;Sweet

Oh okay. Neither is incorrect. One means the desert area, the other the Indian folks in the area. Kinda like saying a "migrane headache"

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were in your position, I'd go buy that Bull Moose that fellow is selling. He wants a hotter pump, and I'm going to fix him up. That Bull should be like new, and if you have a pyro and keep your foot out of it, you will do fine, even without an intercooler. That said, a Moose Junior is what you would want, as others have suggested.

Buy now... cause prices go up 3/1/14. :(

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Dane. I have just about the same setup you have, c6, Gear vendors, Hypermax turbo etc. I have the Baby Moose on my truck, turned up pretty hot. Let me know sometime and I'll take you for a ride and you can see what you think.
I just went to Southern Cal in it last weekend and what everyone says about an intercooler is correct. I had to back out of the throttle on the grades a little and shut off the Gear Vendors, otherwise my pyro would hit close to 1,000. My probe is post turbo, not a good thing. As soon as funds allow, I'm going to do an intercooler.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem Buy now... cause prices go up 3/1/14. :([/QUOTE said:
And I was going to wait until it got a bit warmer here in WI guess you will be seeing a order from me tomorrow..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Dane. I have just about the same setup you have, c6, Gear vendors, Hypermax turbo etc. I have the Baby Moose on my truck, turned up pretty hot. Let me know sometime and I'll take you for a ride and you can see what you think.
I just went to Southern Cal in it last weekend and what everyone says about an intercooler is correct. I had to back out of the throttle on the grades a little and shut off the Gear Vendors, otherwise my pyro would hit close to 1,000. My probe is post turbo, not a good thing. As soon as funds allow, I'm going to do an intercooler.
iirc there is a gearing difference and another very small difference.
you have 4.10 gears and a very tight convertor.
he has 3.55 gears and a "stock" convertor.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Man those intercoolers are expensive from hypermax... thought i'd see about adding it to the project pile while the truck is down, but good grief!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ebay cooler and universal pipe kit. Im going to do that on the dually as the PS cooler is overkill.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
ebay cooler and universal pipe kit. Im going to do that on the dually as the PS cooler is overkill.

I know it's debatable and everyone has an opinion.

But you think doing a psd intercooler would be too much?
Or are you just saying size installation wise for the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online