Meet the Farm Pig - Worlds best looking Ford IDI!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
THE BEAST!

This is the first pic I took of this truck this year. Yes we had to stop at Davesfarm on the way :D
You must be registered for see images attach

This thing sure had been nesting there for a little while I think.

What y'all think?

Threw in 1 good Die Hard battery, fired up on a second glow plug cycle.

Runs great to my surprise, could be abit easier starting, but at least it does start lol. Starts just as bad warm, so IP must be letting go slowlly.

What a farmtastic looking truck though eh?

Mileage on this pig

Just came back out from the Back 40, nasty trails to be done in a rough riding truck like this!

2 best pictures for last!

And as a bonus, why the heck not?

That's a FUN ride!

Specs on the truck.

1991 Ford F250 Custom, 4x4 ZF5, Dana 50 front, Sterling, 3.55 Built in Oakville Ontario Canada. (I know all this cause I took a picture of the VIN tag on the door jam.)

Heres something very very interesting I really wanna share with y'all about what's been done to the transmission in this truck.

It's a ZF5, 4 speed now.

When he got this truck (for free from a local corner car dealer) it wouldn't start cold, and had no reverse.

He did fix the cold start problem just 2 years ago (bad controller)

But I found it interesting how he fixed his grinding reverse.

He took the transmission out of it, opened it up, and saw the reverse gear was chewed up bad. He went out to see if he could buy a gear for it, he said they wanted something like 400$ for 1 gear. So he said that's way to much, but he noticed the OD gear is exactlly the same as the Reverse gear, so he swaped them. Now the Reverse gear is accually the OD gear, and the old Reverse gear is in place of the OD.

So now hes had a perfectlly fine working reverse for the past 10 years on the farm for free! Only thing is it's got no more OD, but it's not like hes ever gonna use 5th on the farm anyways.

So for some of you that have that problem but no money, that may be your best bet till you can afford a transmission or a rebuilt.

Heres a video I put together to see this thing in action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFF2tvA7fKE

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
It makes me sad to see a truck in that condition. Especially one identical to mine. heck we even have the same tires!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that truck. Its amazing how much abuse it takes and keeps on going. Makes me jealous cause i try that crap and break something every time lol.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't do that to a diesel truck cause all i see is $ signs for the motor and drivetrain. But its his truck and it is interestin to see the amount of abuse it can survive.

johnboggs21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have those Uniroyal Laredo AWT tires on the back of mine. Mine are 265/75/R16, his are 235/85/R16's.

had those on the back of mine for quite a while too. Good tires, but mine got wore down so far that once they spun the least bit they turned into racing slicks LOL

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I couldn't do that to a diesel truck cause all i see is $ signs for the motor and drivetrain. But its his truck and it is interestin to see the amount of abuse it can survive.

Diesel trucks are the best for this kind of stuff, you can cross a river without worring about wetting the spark plugs, he made an air snorkle out the hood just for that!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, that truck is on its way to being the longest lived vehicle on Dave's Farm. I realize this would be blasphemy considering what he does to most cars and trucks, but were it me, I'd be looking for a newer cab and front clip.

Although it could be the frame is rusted out too so maybe it doesn't matter.

Hey wait, whats with the 110 MPH speedometer??? I never say that before on a bricknose diesel before.....

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Accually the frame, axles have hardlly any surface rust. It would accually be more worth restoring that one than mine!

They both need the same thing, a body lol that's it!

And a good tune up!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Last I checked, that truck is on its way to being the longest lived vehicle on Dave's Farm. I realize this would be blasphemy considering what he does to most cars and trucks, but were it me, I'd be looking for a newer cab and front clip.

Although it could be the frame is rusted out too so maybe it doesn't matter.

Hey wait, whats with the 110 MPH speedometer??? I never say that before on a bricknose diesel before.....

Isn't yours in KM Dave? It should have the smaller mph up to 110mph. Both my bricknoses have 180km/h 110mph speedos.

But his has a little tab for the needle to sit on 0, so it doesn't go under while backing up, that is the first time I see that in these trucks, both mine, the needle is floating in mid air at 0 and goes under backing up.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am practically tripping over 87-96 ford boxes on craigslist out here but NOTHING for 80-86!!!!

Most are under $400 and in decent shape (anything's better than what that sorry thing has on it LOL). Went to see one last night that was advertised as an 86 but pulling into their driveway - nope! round wheel arches -cuss Would have looked good on Dave's truck too, bright yellow and all:rotflmao

She was asking $400 on an old listing and sounded ready to just give it to me but I couldn't use it.