Mechanical to Electric Spedo

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, we've got an issue with my brothers IDI project. It has a 85 transfercase and rear axle (mechanical spedo), but a 95 body, wich has an electronic spedometer and odometer off the rear axle. Does anyone know where we can find somthing to make these two work together? I was thinking if their was a electronic pickup that could be put on the spedo gear in the transfer case but I've never seen anything like that before :dunno:

Thanks to anyone that can help!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Swap to a newer sterling rear axle that has the abs tone ring in the back? That would be the easiest as they are plentiful and inexpensive. You might be able to toss a vss in the transfer case output. I'll check alldata to see if they are even remotely the same signal pulse as i know the rear sensor produces ac voltage. I will post back after i shower.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trucks with cruise control used a VSS that mounted on the transfer case and then the cable plugged into that. I think you can get that piece and make it all work!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Well i just looked at a vss i had from my old 89 F250 and a spare vss from my 94 F350. Same connector, same resistance. Guess it comes down to the gear on the vss, then adjusting via the PSOM to get your speedo to work.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I got a VSS off a newer truck, it will fit in the hole of the transfer case and run off the spedo gear thats in their, then just program the PSOM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online