MBRP Cool Duals Installed

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I think I've had enough time to think about my new exhaust system, so now I can give some sort of review.

I ordered the pipes and tips from Mark Craig at Diesel Performance Parts. He was good to deal with, and so was the guy I talked to on the phone (I forgot his name). Shipping was I think less than two weeks, across the border into Canada. I thought the price was good too, so overall the buying experience was pretty good and I'd recommend them to anyone.

I didn't install it myself. I took it into Mason's Rad Repair in Swift Current, and they had it on in under an hour. I also got a cat delete pipe. Previously, I just had the stock pipe with the cat removed, and a resonator in place of the muffler. Now, the cat is still gone, and I used the muffler that comes with the pipes and tossed the resonator. I'm not real happy with the hangers in the back, which I'll get to in a bit.

Now, the important thing: sound. It doesn't really sound unlike my previous exhaust. It's no louder than it was before, outside, but you can hear it more from the driver's seat. I imagine this is because there's now a pipe on the driver's side and it's easier to hear. If you're worried about bothering people when you drive around town, I don't think you've got a whole lot to worry about. However, if you spend much time with the truck under load at 2200 RPM, hopefully you like a drone. I generally accelerate faster than that, and drive lower than that, so it's not a problem. If you're in that range, you will need to do something about it. Other than that, it has a real deep tone, and has some snap to it as you get closer to redline. I've had a tough time keeping my foot out of it. It really sounds good. I didn't notice any difference in EGTs or the seat-of-the-pants dyno, so I'd think your money is better spent elsewhere if those are your primary goals.

The only complaint I have, other than the drone which for me isn't an issue, is the hangers. They're just rubber and I don't expect them to last very long. I need to figure out a way to wrap a metal band around them so they don't split and let the pipes hang down. See picture below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Any questions, feel free to ask. If I had the ability, I'd get some audio for you, but a) I haven't got the equipment for that, and b) I'm 16 hours from my truck at work, with no idea when I'll be back home.

My camera really is awful. So are my skills with it.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
killer,

Looks great!!! The drone is a wierd deal, some trucks get it while the majority of them never do, I wonder it it has something to do with body length??? If you need it gone we have small resonators that go as far forward as possible in the system and it makes it go away!!

Mark @ DPPI

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It only seems to be right at 2200. It's a pretty narrow range so it's easy to avoid it, but I had to change my driving style. Under acceleration I used to give it exactly enough throttle to put it in that range. Give it more, or less, and it's not a problem.

Me and my brother were jackassing around on the highway last night. I made him pass me so I could hear his exhaust (he has an 06 F-350 with the same exhaust), and then I passed him. It's really loud outside, I guess. Apparently it sounds like an airplane. I can't tell really from the inside. The A/C fan drowns it out.

Also, I learned last night my truck defuels at 113mph. My brother thought he was going to pull out and drive away, but I saw him and took off. His governs at 90.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
killer said:
Me and my brother were jackassing around on the highway last night. I made him pass me so I could hear his exhaust (he has an 06 F-350 with the same exhaust), and then I passed him. It's really loud outside, I guess. Apparently it sounds like an airplane. I can't tell really from the inside. The A/C fan drowns it out.

Yesterday we swapped places. I drove his truck and he drove mine so we could hear how our own trucks sounded. Loud is an understatement. I could hear my Dodge coming from a long way back, and I could feel it when he went by. I'm sure he had it to the boards when he passed me, so it probably isn't that loud all the time. I really like the sound of it, and they'll know I'm coming when I pull out to pass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7