May seem obvious but...

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a friend who seems to think that duramax's use a converted gas block. I have told him time and time again that he is wrong.
So the question is, am i missing something here or is he wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have heard similar rumors about the older 6.2 and 6.5 diesels, but I think the 6.6 Duramax is based on it's own design. It's actually built (or was) by Izuzu and GM in Moraine, Ohio.

I don't think that the Duramax is a bored out gasser block because of it's dual overhead cam design. It is a 32 valve engine, and AFAIK the older chevy engines (the gassers anyways) didn't run a DOHC setup. Even the 6.0 and 8.1 blocks were pushrod engines.

I would say that the Duramax is it's own animal...but maybe someone with a little more expirence will chip in.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I'm with Goofy on this one.
All I've ever read states that they were designed by Isuzu and GM together specifically for the diesel pickup market.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duramax diesels were a fresh design buildup, no gas engine parts in this one. It was a partnership between GM and Isuzu. Your friend could probably understand that it wouldn't stand up to 1000 hp, 1800 ft. lbs., @over 80 psi boost if it were based on gasser parts.

blumax

Reaction score
the d-max is a DOHC? i know its a 32 valve motor but are you sure its a DOHC? i looked at mine and it kinda don't look like one. Hmmmmm....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Actually, I think it is a pushrod engine..The new 4.5 L concept engine is a DOHC engine nand that's whre I got screwed up. The 6.6 IS a 32 valve engine though to help her breathe.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
The Duramax is a diesel design right from the get-go. Isuzu/GM partnership. The 6.2/6.5 are also diesel designs Detroit Diesel/GM partnership. The 5.7 diesel was the gas-conversion job.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
To add on to what EMD said. The Isuzu/GM partnership is a separate entity apptly called DMAX. Go figure. Few know that Isuzu has actually produced or put more diesel engines on the road than anyone else.

And yes it is a single cam/pushrod 32 valve engine.

Tom

mojoman

Reaction score
The Duramax is a diesel design right from the get-go. Isuzu/GM partnership. The 6.2/6.5 are also diesel designs Detroit Diesel/GM partnership. The 5.7 diesel was the gas-conversion job.

yep...was the Olds 350 block they converted...had one of them...was just plain old trouble

mojo