Max boost before heads lift?

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now if you build a custom system couldnt you just put in a blow off valve in your system and keep from blowing you stuff apart

BOV don't work on a diesel because they don't have a throttle plate, they instead use wastegates to regulate pressure by venting excess pressure over the designed release of the wastegate.

What he want's to do is make a turbo setup that exceeds generally accepted pressure for an IDI anyway. He could use a wastegate for pressures that certainly would rip a motor apart (like say, 40psi).

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get that.... im kinda in the same boat i want the biggest baddest mech diesel out there im not really worried about cost because i see it as a one time buy and its still way less then a new diesel and way cooler life is 20% doing and 80% style

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i get that.... im kinda in the same boat i want the biggest baddest mech diesel out there im not really worried about cost because i see it as a one time buy and its still way less then a new diesel and way cooler life is 20% doing and 80% style

Even if you spend 10k an idi won't beat the other mech diesels, and it will grenade itself several times (so not really a one time buy, will be out of the truck as often as it is in).

Go with an early DT466 or a 12 valve 5.9 cummins for big and bad, my vote is with the DT466.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, if you want the baddest and hottest truck on the road go with a Cummins. The 6bt versions are 1000hp stock from what the cummins guys have told me, nothing on the road that can beat them.

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but i like my fords...... and id love to drop a cummins 24 valve if i could find one in the right price range

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does a dt466 weigh and what kind of after market support does it have? like i said before im at the fabing in a motor part of me build and want to build a motor before i put it in this truck

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Not really what I was getting at guys. Mainly I was just wondering what is the highest boost anybody on here is running or was running when the head gaskets let go. For the concensus that 12psi or so is max w/o blown head gaskets and catastrophic failure, I would assume their would be a proportionate number of readers who have blown head gaskets at that level of boost to establish this "rule of thumb". For example we all know 90psi or so and the block will let go from the twin turbo engine from hypertech, and we know too much water injection will crack pistons from the guy who usedto have the truck they called enterprise.

I have been reading these forums off and on for several years now and I find myself wondering if the established boost limits are based on theory from what the factory turbo engines were rated at or if there is a junkyard somewhere full of IDI's w/ blown head gaskets?

Off to search for the loch ness monster...

Bowedup

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thiers a guy on here i'l find it in a min that said he was running like 20+ boost in his 7.3 and he thought the gauge was wrong so he put a 15psi on it and it was peg'd

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Genlighting was his name-
Banks wastegated Sidewinder. I wasn't sure if the 30psi gauge was accurate so I changed it out for a 15psi and that got pegged. If I could figure out how to fit an intercooler I could crank the boost up more, but there's no room for one.

'88 Chevy 1Ton CC DRW 2wd w/a
7.3 IDI w/Banks Sidewinder
E4OD w/Baumann controller and Racer-X triple disc TC

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really what I was getting at guys. Mainly I was just wondering what is the highest boost anybody on here is running or was running when the head gaskets let go. For the concensus that 12psi or so is max w/o blown head gaskets and catastrophic failure, I would assume their would be a proportionate number of readers who have blown head gaskets at that level of boost to establish this "rule of thumb". For example we all know 90psi or so and the block will let go from the twin turbo engine from hypertech, and we know too much water injection will crack pistons from the guy who usedto have the truck they called enterprise.

I have been reading these forums off and on for several years now and I find myself wondering if the established boost limits are based on theory from what the factory turbo engines were rated at or if there is a junkyard somewhere full of IDI's w/ blown head gaskets?

Off to search for the loch ness monster...

Bowedup

Well, I would look at what the aftermarket kits are designed to for a good baseline of what is safe. No company would produce a kit that would blow a motor when it is used within it's recommended settings. I'd imagine the failure rate skyrockets once past this point - if all other factors remain neutral.

bowedup2003

Reaction score
I am having the same problem w/ mounting an intercooler on my truck. I found a small one simIlarin size to what the other guys are running, but the only place it will fit is out under my full replacement front brushguard, which puts it down low where mud and brush would hit it, plush then the intercooler tubes would have to fish under the radiator and back up and around to get back to the engine.

As for the boost question, if the guy yall were talking about is running 30psi no problem then there shouldn't be any reason we can't go up to 20psi or so w/o tearing something up?

Also, just wanted to say I appreciate all the info and discussion, really helps to hear other points of view on things!

Bowedup

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does a dt466 weigh and what kind of after market support does it have? like i said before im at the fabing in a motor part of me build and want to build a motor before i put it in this truck

DT466 market is emerging, should only get better as time goes on - but any modification that increases fuel and air will do lots. The biggest problem is keeping the motor under the hood.

Be careful, these beasts can supposedly put out 2000hp and who knows what kind of torque - so plan your drive train accordingly

I think 1400lbs is the weight of a T466

After seeing all those cummins in the drag scene, and only seeing DTs made to pull - it would be nice to see a DT whoop a cummins in the quarter.

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Runaway, youre probably right, but I just don't remember reading any posts that said overboosted engine and blew head gaskets? Lord knows I've read posts about every other failure to our beloved old diesels, just this one doesn't come to mind.

Bowedup

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
In theory, I've never seen it done myself. But its possible to over boost one of these motors to the point that the block or main caps will give out and the crank could come flying out the bottom of the truck. I know of members here running 15psi on stock internals, no milled pistons and such. But I do not know how long the head gaskets will last at that rate.
I kept my brown truck at 9-10 psi when it ran and to be honest that was hauling butt pretty good, but I'm running 3" intercooler lines with a 6bt cummins intercooler and a velocity hat and 5" intake spacer. Not to mention everything is ceramic coated.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
crash86 has a propane injected idi with head studs making 20 psi boost on stock compression