master cylinder pushrod length issues

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
just finished up with the big pieces of my ZF5 swap. truck seems to have all the air out of the coolant now so i wanna get it out and around the block.

however i cant quite get it into gear. there is NO air anywhere, that i am sure of. no squishy spots or anything like that.

my thought is that i have a pushrod length issue in the master... because the one that came with my swap is BENT. not very much but still bent.

even though the pedal effort is divided by the pushrod, would this difference in length be enough to make the truck just BARELY engage in any forward or reverse gear?

i think a $50 experiment for a new master cylinder is pretty cheap... anybody agree, disagree, have other thoughts?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the pushrod off the pedal arm. With the clutch pedal all the way up against the upper stop, does the pushrod line up? If so, it's the right length. If you have to push the pedal down a little bit to get the pushrod back on, it's too short.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
yes, the clutch pedal had to be moved down to get the eyelet lined up. bleeding the new master now ;Sweet

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere on here some where I think, that 1/8 of an inch at the pedal linkage equates to 1 1/2 inches at the pedal.