Massive! oil consumption

Chief

Reaction score
Drove her 39 miles and didn’t lose any oil! Still smoking but now it’s black after idling and white depending on the load on the engine. Maybe a timing issue or the injectors are bad. I’m not sure when they were last replaced.

Wes, can I get a discount from your shop? J/k

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black is fairly normal if the pump had been turned up, the white smoke is likely a timing issue

Chief

Reaction score
So I guess I spoke too soon. Have now gone 65 miles since punching holes under the grommet and I’m maybe 2 qts down from mid range on the dipstick after sitting for an hour. What now? I could rebuild the turbo or run some marvel mystery oil hoping it’ll free stuck oil rings. Not sure which way to go. I may have both a turbo issue and stuck rings. Kind of at a loss here

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things

Load it down, pull some hard hills, git it HOT, run it like a rented mule for an hour or so with the load on.

2 Look up diesel rx here...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep brain dammage syndrome...
The product in mind is a slow acting solvent meant to clean coking and stuck rings ...
Runs for like 3 oil changes???

Hot and sweaty... Oh yea, gitr hot and burn off the fungowie!
-135*

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc, that is the liquimoly for Injectors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You are right just went looking through his threads and it was for cleaning the fuel system. BUT he did have a thread talking about Auto-RX vs Seafoam. I was thinking about the Auto Rx stuff. it is supposed to clean the internals of the engine gradually. maybe something to look into.

Chief

Reaction score
I’ve got some auto rx in the on deck circle. Waiting to get the consumption down to where the stuff stays in the system long enough to work. Gonna try to load her down today and see if I can maybe unstick any rings that might be stuck.

There’s a lot that I plan to do with her. IP, injectors, clean the fuel system, etc. main thing right now is the oil consumption.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if due to the design of the precup heads...
Could one pull the glows and pour Diesel into the hole to soak rings like on a gasser???
Then crank it over to spit out the extra so as to not hydrolock the eng???
Never looked inside an. Idi head and it's my first cup of coffee

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine you could do that. That's actually a good idea if the italian tune up doesn't work. I'd try that on mine if I think I had stuck rings.

I've done something similar on gm 5.3 gas engines. They had issues with carboned up rings and had a bulletin where they advocated using acdelco top engine cleaner in through the spark plug. You'd let it sit for 3 hours and then suck it all back out. Stuff works great for dissolving carbon but make sure you change the oil before you start it and don't get any of it on the paint. I also think it will eat aluminum so don't leave it in for too long either. It worked way better then seafoam or any other cleaner.