manual tranny

chinsmackers

Reaction score
so, i'm getting tired of the e4od in my truck... it just shifts "sloppy". i would like a decent manual tranny but i'm not sure which is the best for my application. i would like the granny gear for pulling but i'm not always pulling that much weight so i need to have something that's acceptable on the highway at 65mph without a load. currently running the stock 3.55 open rear end (wanting to change that, too).

any suggestions for a transmission?

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
A ZF-5 speed is your best route. It has a low first gear, plus overdrive. A t-19 for speed does have creeper, but no overdrive, you'll have a direct ratio 1:1 in 4th gear.

chinsmackers

Reaction score
Pipeliner_86 said:
A ZF-5 speed is your best route. It has a low first gear, plus overdrive. A t-19 for speed does have creeper, but no overdrive, you'll have a direct ratio 1:1 in 4th gear.

are there numbers/codes i need to look for on the zf 5spd? how would i know which one is which?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A ZF5 has an aluminum housing and a integral bellhousing assembly. A T-19 has a cast-iron housing and a separate bellhousing that can be unbolted from the tranny.

The ZF5 has webbing on the outside; that's the best way to quickly tell.

Also, keep in mind that you'll need to find a tranny that was originally mounted behind a diesel. The bellhousing bolt patterns are different between the diesel and any Ford g@$$er. Also, if you have a 2WD, you'll need to find a 2WD tranny...and same if you have a 4x4. Changing out the tailpieces is next to impossible...it can't be done, unless you want to completely disassemble the tranny.

You can use the same crossmemebr, and possibly the same mount...and you'll need a floor pan insert, a clutch, and the clutch hydraulics.

Honestly, I wouldn't be all that worried about it...IMHO it's fairly straightforward. Now, if you wanted to swap from a 5 speed to an E4DOA... :shocked:

FutureOilBurner

Reaction score
Hi Warden,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a related question: I'm looking at buying an '84 F-250 with the 6.9 diesel and the T-19 4-speed transmission. Do you know complicated the swap would be from this to a ZF 5-speed?

Thanks,
FutureOilBurner