Mahle pistons?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WOW!!!!! You guys can really make an unsure situation very clear thank you to all that posted

Well your very welcome... There is a very deep source of information from real time practical hands on experiance on this site. I wont shoot from the hip and hope it comes out correct... If I don't know I will post just that... Sometimes I will post a swag.... (scinetific wild ass guess)... Or a wag but I will make it clear thats what I'm doing... The incorrect information spreads just as fast as the correct information... Trying to "fix" a mistake from the wrong info may be expensive. Being rich or poor.. Menas nothing.. Being stuck on the side of the road means everything....

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys Cast Aluminum from Mahle for OEM turbo pistons, the grain structure just looking at the piston show it is cast, I own a few sets.
MAHLE pistons for passenger car diesel engines are cast from high-strength aluminum alloys with diameters from 65 to 100 mm. Standard features are: ring carriers made from austenitic cast iron (Niresist) for increasing the wear resistance of the first ring groove, salt core cooling channels or cooled ring carriers—and a MAHLE GRAFAL® coating for optimizing the skirt performance. For engines with especially high loads, MAHLE also uses bushings in the piston pin bores.
The series production of this piston started in 2000. By 2010, more than ten million pistons with cooled ring carriers had been produced

Forged Diesel? Try ROSS they make forged Diesel pistons

Javier

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If so they are still better than brittle hyper whatevers.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one better......

You must be registered for see images attach

Granted, it didn't run too long, but I did get ~100 miles on the freeway towing with the piston looking like that. Didn't quite get home before the skirt shattered and let go the wrist pin though. Didn't stall either, it was still running fine - I shut it down when it lost oil pressure due to the pan now being full of coolant. :eek:

And all because of a cracked rocker......

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys Cast Aluminum from Mahle for OEM turbo pistons, the grain structure just looking at the piston show it is cast, I own a few sets.

Forged Diesel? Try ROSS they make forged Diesel pistons

Javier

MAHLE pistons for passenger car diesel engines are cast from high-strength aluminum alloys with diameters from 65 to 100 mm. Standard features are: ring carriers made from austenitic cast iron (Niresist) for increasing the wear resistance of the first ring groove, salt core cooling channels or cooled ring carriers—and a MAHLE GRAFAL® coating for optimizing the skirt performance. For engines with especially high loads, MAHLE also uses bushings in the piston pin bores.
The series production of this piston started in 2000. By 2010, more than ten million pistons with cooled ring carriers had been produced

Based on that statement above....those piston where made well after our production line since they started in 2000 not 1984. I would contact the manufacturer to confirm rather than speculate based on observations IMHO.

Just sayin

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I just pulled my 94 block apart. This is what I found.

All the pistons were similar to this with these light surface cracks

Any idea what might have caused this? I'm guessing these pistons need to be replaced?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is age and heat, but they don't have any melting in the cup area which is a common sign of high egts and over fueling.

Those are stock pistons, so maybe just age?

I doubt those are anything more than surface cracks.

Do all of the pistons look the same? If it's only one like this that would concern me much more than if all 8 are.

I would replace them especially since I'd bet the motor has some substantial mileage on it and the rings and everything else are decently worn too. If everything else was known to be good and you were short of cash I'd say use them, but if you can it's probably wise to replace, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Since the cracks are at the end of the flame trench, I would guess too much of a good thing (fuel), resulting in extra high temps. Aluminum doesn't crack like that from pressure. Cast or forged, them's some heat cracks.

How did they get that way? Well, every time the piston goes down, it gets squirted by the oil jets for some cooling. On a normal engine, it regulates the heat of the pistons. On this one, either the fuel was turned up a lot or the oil jets were not working. A real possibility. When I rebuilt my engine, three of the jets were almost plugged closed from gasket debris that someone had scraped off and into the oil pan, not thinking where it might end up.

Change the pistons and check the oil jets.