Made It Home... Finally!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
benefit of a serpentine belt is afaik, one single belt, so simplicity i guess v belt setups are great in that if you lose one belt you might be able to make due without it until you get another

I like the v-belts for that reason. I was out of cell phone reception, 20+ miles from a parts place, but was still able to keep going. I still had my PS, alternator, and most importantly - the water pump. I think I stretched the column out a little when applying the brakes though. :rotflmao

If I had the serpentine setup and no spare belt, I'd been "up $hit Creek without a paddle".

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOLYou've never really arrived until you lost a belt while flying down the highway in an IDI.

I agree about belt redundancy being a plus for V belt over serpentine, but the serps can also be much easier to swap on the side of the road. Not sure how it is on the ford IDIs, but the GM 6.5 is a 60 (for a beginner) second job and no bolts have to be loosened.

Serpentine is also less likely to have problems in the first place because they are self adjusting.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I had to replace the vac to alt belt it was quite easy all you have to do is loosen the alt bolt flip it down put the belt around the alt and vac pump swing the alt over tighten bolt... your done

PS. I always use dayco belts

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
well you know if you have AT&t and are in the mountains you know you aint gonna get a signal LOL

I have T-Mobile, but nobody gets reception over the passes here.

LOLYou've never really arrived until you lost a belt while flying down the highway in an IDI.

My first one decided to give me the "lesson" on this by throwing the alternator belt and wiping out all the belts in the process. :eek: GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE! :rotflmao

This truck has busted the PS belt while going down the highway (fun steering into the parts store with no power steering and 35" tires) and just threw the vacuum pump belt (also fun trying to stop 8,800# of truck and trailer going down grades and through curves). The alternator belt was replaced when I got the truck running, so I should be good on that one for awhile.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never get T-mobil or AT&t ever again, their service sucks in TN because they use a lower band range than Verizon or Nextel/Sprint

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very first time this happened to me, I lost powersteering too. Only the AC belt was still holding. That was my saving grace. I put the AC belt back on (PO took it off) shortly before that trip. If it wasn't for that, we would have been stranded on the side of the road at night.

I'm still finding peices of that belt under the hood to this day:rotflmao

Gotta say, I'm a little glad my tranny doesn't need vacuum for shifting anymore, because this has happened about 5 times to me so far for one reason or another. Last time I had to actually cut the alternator belt off because the bearing of the alternator went out and the whole thing was about to grenade under there.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what transmission did Ford put in there that is required a Vacuum to shift gears? I thought they were all either electric or manual?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a tranny I DON'T wanna have

Actually the C6 tranny is better than the E4OD. Ford had problems with the E4OD right out of the factory. Now if you have an E4OD that was upgraded than it's a good trans but if stock it is a piece of garbage.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are actually bullet proof and stock for stock are WAY harder to wreck than an E4OD. Lack of a 4th gear was the only reason I ditched mine. It is however, unfortunate that the alternator belt can cause a breakdown of so many of the systems at once.

Normally the vacuum modulation for the C6 is quite precise and smooth. The vacuum systems for the transmission itself never gave me any problems. It was the damn alternator belt that always let me down.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dad has had to use pantyhose on a 460cid before.

A buddy of mine used his girlfriend's thong once too. He started telling me how he just cut the croth and "butt-strap" out of it and streched it over the pulleys. I had to stop him there because she was a "larger" woman and that "mental image" was enough for me to not what to hear anymore. :puke: :rotflmao

Was this the mental image you had?

You must be registered for see images attach

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao