Made It Home... Finally!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Just posting to let the members that helped me out today know that I made it home in one piece. I'll fill in all the details later today (after I get some sleep), but here's a quick "run-down" of how the day went...

1) Truck broke the vacuum pump belt and I had to drive about 20-30 miles without power brakes (down the grades and through the corners with a 7,200# truck and 1,600# trailer).
2) After getting a new belt, one of the injector hard lines cracked and started pumping fuel into the valley pan. In2Fords (Jeremy) met me in Salem and ran me to a U-Pull It, but no diesels. Ended up putting rags under the IP and heading for Beaverton to punkmechanic's (Justin), but was SOAKING them within 20 miles.
3) After making it up to Beaverton and getting some lines from Justin, I replaced the bad line in the Fred Meyer parking lot just as it was getting dark. Fueled up and as I was leaving the parking lot, some idiot backed into my trailer. No damage to my trailer, but took a nice chunk out of the rear bumper on his Acura. (I didn't even know that he backed into me... I went to go and the truck didn't move. I gave it a little more throttle, and that's when I heard and saw the car "lurch"). He said it was his fault, and we went our seperate ways.

Thanks to In2Fords for trying to help me get the parts ASAP, thanks to punkmechanic for being a "packrat" and having a spare set of hard lines, and thanks to Towcat for laughing at my "adventures" all day and helping keep me positive about the situation.

I drove 350 mile total today (pulling my trailer) for nothing since the car I went to look at was in worse shape than the lady selling it had said. The truck idles a little funny (kinda has a "shake" like it's "misfring", but it seemed to improve after driving back on straight diesel - I'll see what it does in the morning when I start it).

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Doesn't sound like a fun day man. You gotta love the brotherhood. We've got quite a collection of good guys and information. I've said it before and I'll say it again.......Oilburners is the best!;Sweet:hail

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have two obvious questions.... Why don't you carry spare belts under the seat.... What caused the hard line to break.... I can send you all the belts I have after my serpentine belt changeover if you want and... Why not carry a set of hard lines behind or under the seat. Now I realize a person can't carry a complete truck back there but some items are a must. I have carried a set of hard lines for several years but somehow they didn't make the rally trip..:sly Glad you got home and didn't get stuck on the road.... The brotherhood is strong and willing to help...;Sweet

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I really need to get some spare belts to hold onto. Glad everything worked out for you though.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there and done that on the vacum pump belt. The first time the belt went was on the way home from buying the truck. I had no idea what happened all I know is that my batteries were losing their charge and the brakes were real hard to operate. I slowed down to no more than 45MPH and to charge the batteries I was hitting a push button switch that you had to hold on the left side of the dash that said "Start Override". Whenever I pushed that button I noticed my headlights got brighter. I knew their was a secondary alternator so I knew that was charging them. I stopped at a store for some tape so that I could tape the button in so that I did not have to hold it but the tape did not hold.

I drove on all the way back from Harrisburg PA where it occured to Middletown NJ in that condition not knowing what the problem was. When I got back to Middletown I feared the worst and hoped for the best as I lifted the hood to see that the alternator belt and vacum pump belt were gone. I replaced all the belts with Gates branded belts only to have the problem happen again about a month later. Again the belts were replaced with Gates branded belts and again about a month later it happened.

One time it happened at the Rally in Michigan and I tried the short belt method for the alternator but that did not work as the alternator belt just squealed like a pig that was being chased so I went to the regular belt again a gates and again about a month later or sao it happened again. Called Gates and they told me that the problem was that International built the motor that had a vibration in it and my response was no **** sherlock it's a diesel and of course it's going to have some vibration in it. I swore off all of Gates products aill never use them again.

Went to Advance Auto Parts and was going to buy a Dayco Gold series belt only to find out that it was not in stock and had to be ordered so I told the guy to order it and bought the house belt for $5.00 that was going to be used until the Dayco Gold came in. The house belt is still on the truck and has been for at least 5 years or better. The house belt is "Drive Rite" and is made by Dayco.

So if you replaced the belt with a gates belt you will have the problem again and I suggest that if it is a Gates belt to replace it right away with a Dayco.

On the plus side with the ordeal that I had when I drove no more than 45 I got 19MPG.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have two obvious questions.... Why don't you carry spare belts under the seat.... What caused the hard line to break.... I can send you all the belts I have after my serpentine belt changeover if you want and... Why not carry a set of hard lines behind or under the seat. Now I realize a person can't carry a complete truck back there but some items are a must. I have carried a set of hard lines for several years but somehow they didn't make the rally trip..:sly Glad you got home and didn't get stuck on the road.... The brotherhood is strong and willing to help...;Sweet

That's more than 2 questions... LOL I used to carry spare belts (after throwing the PS belt one day), but cleaned out the truck about a month ago and forgot to put them back in. I'm not sure what caused the hard line to break this time. The last time it cracked one, I think it was because I didn't have the "clamps" installed (weren't there when I bought it), but not sure what caused it to happen this time since I have the "clamps" installed now. The line had a crack halfway around it at the "nut" that holds it to the IP. How much for your old belts? I'll be down in the Fremont, CA and Santa Clara, CA area next weekend. I was going to just get the one line that I needed from Justin, but just grabbed a complete set and replaced the one that was leaking. I have a replacement for the "leaker" here in my garage, so now I will carry a spare set in the truck with me.

Last edited:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Been there and done that on the vacum pump belt. The first time the belt went was on the way home from buying the truck. I had no idea what happened all I know is that my batteries were losing their charge and the brakes were real hard to operate. I slowed down to no more than 45MPH and to charge the batteries I was hitting a push button switch that you had to hold on the left side of the dash that said "Start Override". Whenever I pushed that button I noticed my headlights got brighter. I knew their was a secondary alternator so I knew that was charging them. I stopped at a store for some tape so that I could tape the button in so that I did not have to hold it but the tape did not hold.

I drove on all the way back from Harrisburg PA where it occured to Middletown NJ in that condition not knowing what the problem was. When I got back to Middletown I feared the worst and hoped for the best as I lifted the hood to see that the alternator belt and vacum pump belt were gone. I replaced all the belts with Gates branded belts only to have the problem happen again about a month later. Again the belts were replaced with Gates branded belts and again about a month later it happened.

One time it happened at the Rally in Michigan and I tried the short belt method for the alternator but that did not work as the alternator belt just squealed like a pig that was being chased so I went to the regular belt again a gates and again about a month later or sao it happened again. Called Gates and they told me that the problem was that International built the motor that had a vibration in it and my response was no **** sherlock it's a diesel and of course it's going to have some vibration in it. I swore off all of Gates products aill never use them again.

Went to Advance Auto Parts and was going to buy a Dayco Gold series belt only to find out that it was not in stock and had to be ordered so I told the guy to order it and bought the house belt for $5.00 that was going to be used until the Dayco Gold came in. The house belt is still on the truck and has been for at least 5 years or better. The house belt is "Drive Rite" and is made by Dayco.

So if you replaced the belt with a gates belt you will have the problem again and I suggest that if it is a Gates belt to replace it right away with a Dayco.

On the plus side with the ordeal that I had when I drove no more than 45 I got 19MPG.

On my very first IDI, I threw the alternator belt and it wiped ALL the belts out in the process. I had a spare alternator and PS belt, but no vacuum pump belt. I ended up using the belt from a riding lawn mower and it held for 2 years. It was still on the truck when I sold it. LOL

FWIW, a piece of rope will hold for 1/4-1/2 mile if in a real bind, but makes a nasty mess when it comes apart. ;Really Might have held longer with some duct tape... :rotflmao

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of belts and keeping extra ones around to replace broken belts, I used to keep a lot of those belt links behind the seat that you can make any length, it was handy not having to have one of each belt around and as long as you kept enough links to replace your longest belt then you were normally good to go. I used up the last of this stuff on one of my old tractors between the water pump and crank, because the adjuster was broke and it was easier just to put the link belt in it.
I used to have a box of this stuff but not wure where to buy it anymore, other than harbor freight that sell sections of it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43771

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ive never had a gates break, but it wasnt on there long nor was it driven daily. but when i helped my sister move from tulsa to back here i saw an advance auto.. i went in and asked for a belt.. they had one it wasnt cheap, but its MUCH thicker and better built than the gates. i need to purchase another just in case, its also reduced the flopping belt issue a little.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
you might get funny looks when you buy them but i have also used pantyhose when in a real bind to get me from one spot to another.

I dad has had to use pantyhose on a 460cid before.

A buddy of mine used his girlfriend's thong once too. He started telling me how he just cut the croth and "butt-strap" out of it and streched it over the pulleys. I had to stop him there because she was a "larger" woman and that "mental image" was enough for me to not what to hear anymore. :puke: :rotflmao

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it better to have a serpentine belt system or the belt system that the 6.9s have??? i find it easier to install new belts on the system that the 6.9s have... because they have to sway/tention bar things where you can just slide the alternator or vacuum pump over and put the belt on then slide it all way over to the left lock it into place then your done....

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
benefit of a serpentine belt is afaik, one single belt, so simplicity i guess v belt setups are great in that if you lose one belt you might be able to make due without it until you get another

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726