Low oil pressure?

fordhorse

Reaction score
My oil pressure has dropped to about 6psi hot, the oil felt thin like there was fuel in it. So i changed the oil and replaced the lift pump, and the oil pressure went back to around 20psi. It's now dropping again and was wondering what else this could be, ip or injectors? I replaced the ip and injectors about a year ago, is there a way to test and see what the problem is?

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Ip and injectors would have no effect on oil pressure. Not that I know everything that will, just what won't. Sorry.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Since you have done the obvious, it is possible that the oil pump has gone bad from wear. Not knowing or mileage on the engine, most everything is a guess. The oil pumps do not wear out very often, but can, and there are stories of bad replacement pumps out of the box. There is also a possibility that there is an internal leak somewhere. Check your turbo oil pickup and return lines, too.

This is not an easy thing to fix or diagnose, but since you changed oil and restored pressure for a little while, my money is on the pump. They can be fixed without being replaced, but you need access to a machine shop. The bottom plate wears from the pump gears and creates a bypass. That can be taken up by grinding of machining the plate to be smooth again.

Crap! I forgot to mention the other possible, and highly likely culprit. The bypass spring in the rear oil cooler head sometimes wears out and does this. It is not serviceable according to Ford, but Icanfixall has changed the spring in his. Perhaps he will check in here.

Last edited:

fordhorse

Reaction score
The truck has 280k on it, and I'm using a sunpro mechanical gauge getting oil pressure at the turbo.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I would send a oil sample to blackstone labs to see if your having a fuel dilution problem.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is fuel in the oil, it would likely be the lift pump.

Tim.