Loss of power on highway/no start.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today on my drive up into the interior I noticed when pulling hills my truck would kick down but even with my foot held to the floor I was not gaining speed and at one point in a steep hill i actually started slowing down, it did this intermittently for about half the drive on hills.

Now when I get to my friends place in princeton I let the truck cool down in the driveway, shut it off and 2 hours later I went to go start it and all it does is crank, even with a shot of ether it Didnt turn over or sound remotely close to firing.
Sounds like fuel delivery to me, truck was running fine till today, filled up and put fuel additave in and i didnt have problems till I was getting down to close to a half tank in higher elevations.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why won't it fire on the ether? That is a fuel correct?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave a quick 2 second burst of ether after the glowplugs had shut off right into the end of my intake. should I try and put it right into the intake manifold?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unscrew the fuel filter and see how much fuel is in it. If it's low, then you probably do have a fuel problem.

No stinky white smoke coming out of the tailpipe is another indicator of no fuel.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if the filter is full?

Its happened to me before where the truck was just too damn hot and Didn't start till I let it cool, maybe she just needs to sit before it'll fire up. Hopefully its an easy fix, im 400km from home and I work monday morning. The loss of power on the highway was kind of bothering me, i cant think what else besides a fuel issue would cause that?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to let it cool before it will start, that's pointing to a worn out injection pump.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The waiting down to start it is a totally intermittent thing. For about a week at a time It'll be a real ***** to start, then other times its totally fine, its not like it gets progressively worse. As long as I get her started and make it hope thats all I care about

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went and tried it a bit ago, still no start, fuel is coming out of the shrader valve on the filter head, hopefully in the morning i'll have more success

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave a quick 2 second burst of ether after the glowplugs had shut off right into the end of my intake. should I try and put it right into the intake manifold?

Ether evaporates quick; it is best to administer it straight into the intake air-stream.

I have installed capped ports into the intake of all my engines just for such occasions; it makes all the difference when the chips are down. ;Sweet

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
there are 3 things to make a diesel run, air, fuel, and compression. my vote is maybe bad rings or IP decided to take a crap on you

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad rings don't happen overnight but sometimes a bad fuel shutoff solenoid or bad pump does. The FSS heat sink problem usually starts out as an intermittent problem then becomes more frequent, and finally you cant start the truck at all. That's if you're lucky sometimes they will just lay down on you with little or no warning.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news, she fired right up this morning, stalled then fired right up a second time and after a few seconds of rough idle ran like a champ, I'll be looking into a new fuel system when I get home. I know Pensacola diesel is probably the cheapest place to get pumps/injectors but you get what you pay for, any feedback? Id love to get a baby moose and some of russ injectors but I dont know if its worth the extra cash

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just worried about the lack of power, that makes me think its pump related. When I would pop it out of OD(i have an e4od) and the truck would kick down but no matter how far down I push the go pedal I wouldn't get any power and at one point on a hill i actually started loosing speed. It's never done that before and was really starting to scare me driving through the mountains with no place to pull off and no cell coverage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk