Loosing 4X4

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I am having trouble with my 4 wheel drive, it dousent like to stay in sometimes when i am pucshing it up some good hills. i at first assumed it was the auto locking hubs but now i am not so sure. it seems fine when i am on relitivly flat areas but a couple of times it poped out when i was going up a hill and at least one time when i was shifting.:mad:

i wasent sure i was going to make it home yesterday, it wouldent immediatly come back into 4 wheel. i would have to back down the hill to a flatter part and it would lock back in and i would make another run at it. someone mentioned it could be the chain is there a way to check things. i cant have this going out when i need it the most......thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Try low range.
On my 85, 4x4 high went out first but still worked in low lock.
After time progressed it began the same symptoms in low lock as well.:confused:
It did seem to do the same symptoms you described as well under a load condition.

subway

Reaction score
i was actaully in low range when it popped a few times??? i thought it might help but didnt seem to make much difference.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to rebuild the xfer case. Parts kit around $100.00. I've read that it's not too difficult. I'm gonna hafta do mine soon. Mine still works and hasn't popped out, just quite noisey when in 4-wheel on highway w/hubs unlocked. I can send you the 1356 exploded view diagrams if you'd like. cookoo OkieGringo

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Noisy 4x4

The 4x4 system seems to work properly. However, with the manual hubs locked and the 4x4 dis-engaged the system sounds noisy. Any idea where this extra noise might be coming from? Thanks!

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The 1356 is known to spin it's pump and then the whole thing turns into our old calc tests, but it isn't too bad to rebuild. I know Curve over at the parts barn gotta '92 4x4 in, so see what he wants for the case.

Another possibility is the shifter linkage cylinder thinger got messed up too.

Adrianspeeder

subway

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to rebuild the xfer case. Parts kit around $100.00. I've read that it's not too difficult. I'm gonna hafta do mine soon. Mine still works and hasn't popped out, just quite noisey when in 4-wheel on highway w/hubs unlocked. I can send you the 1356 exploded view diagrams if you'd like. cookoo OkieGringo

that would be nice, i have rebuilt engines and trannys so a transfer case dousent scare me much. just wish the weather was a bit better is this is it. is there a way to check it before i just pull it out and throw parts at it?

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
that would be nice, i have rebuilt engines and trannys so a transfer case dousent scare me much. just wish the weather was a bit better is this is it. is there a way to check it before i just pull it out and throw parts at it?

You can drain it and shine a light in the fill and drain holes. Only two quarts of Mercon.

Adrianspeeder

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I had a 1356 go bad on me once, stuck in low range 15 miles from home :puke: so I unlocked the hubs and drove it home :thumbsup: got underneath and pulled the drain plug :confused: a bunch of air came out! Funny...might have something to do with the busted thing :backoff so I crack the case to rebuild it, bone dry :rolleyes: guess Mr Mechanic didn't think it needed lube -cuss

Planataries were shot so I got a junkyard case ;Sweet the old one is now in my Jeep J20... Spread all over the bed :shoot:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sound like the plastic bushings on the shift forks are leaving. I just went thru my spare tcase and there was nothing left of the old one the bolts that hold the pump locator on fell out and no pump no lube, I know exactly what sound it makes for next time. We drove from iowa home to oregon with no pump working, didnt know that at the time or I would have fixed it on the road. 5k later it cooked, gotta love synthetic oil.

Anyway there is a hub that "makes" 4 wheel drive, 76 bucks from the dealer with my discount, 8 dollars at the trans parts shop, no I am not exagerating, it may be offshore but it looks the same as the ford part, stamping number and all.
Alltrans in portland OR. has everything you need very reasonable

subway

Reaction score
its funny Kurve has a warehouse full of fords but only drives chebyscookoo

to much hippy hay i guess

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Curvin is a good guy to deal with. I've known him for years. He has almost anything you need. When I need Ford truck parts, I always check him first.
John