Loosening D70 brake shoes

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between the weather and my luck trying to get the brakes loosened up, I think the diesel gods are trying to tell me to have AAA haul my truck to the shop to get the brakes done tomorrow...

But, the ********* in me has to ask anyways...

Do these trucks have the lock lever thingie (highly technical term there ;) ) on the adjuster star wheel on the drum brake assembly? Looking at the FSM, they're showing the lock lever on the half ton/Bronco drum assembly, but not on the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. Also, I was unable to find the lock lever with a screwdriver (no hope of seeing into that tiny hole) to disengage it.

Even with not disengaging the lock lever (if one exists, and I would be shocked if it didn't), I got the star wheel turned as far as I could...I think I turned it the right way (on the right wheel, I turned the star wheel "down", so that if you were looking towards the front of the truck, the wheel would be turning counter-clockwise), and the wheel is still refusing to budge.

So, what was I doing wrong? With how the rain's coming down, there's no way I can get the wheel loose tonight...thank goodness AAA's free for 100 miles, eh? :thumbsup: But, it'd still be nice to know.

Thanks!

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 1 ton f350 has the auto adjusters on it and also my f250 3/4, turn the star wheel up to loosen, down expands the shoes

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'm assuming by lock lever you mean the arm that actually rotates the star wheel when it needs adjusted you would have to have one other wise nothin would keep the brakes tight

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something like that LOL

Honestly, I probably could have figured it out if it wasn't for the weather coupled with my inexperience...my truck's out in the open, and halfway through, the sky opened up completely (and still hasn't closed yet)...

Any tips on how to get to the lever to release it? I tried to get a small screwdriver in there, and couldn't find it to release it...almost like the hole was too small and the adjuster placed too high. Of course, the apparent fact that I was turning the star wheel the wrong way didn't help matters cookoo

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Warden, I use a pick (dental type) with 90 deg. bend on it insted of a screw driver to lift the self adjusting arm off the the star adjuster. It allows more room for the brake spoon. Also a screw driver tends to bind on the adjusting screw so its harder to turn, but to answer your question, yes it is there. I dont know why but i can never remember which way they go. What I do is feel for the spring resistance of the adjusting arm. It will prevent you from backing off the adjusting screw. Then lift the arm and go the opposite way. Boy that all sounds confusing. I wouldnt make a good teacher. Some of the other guys here have a much better way of explaining "simply" how to get something done. Hope the rain stops.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As earlier stated, if your adjusters haven't switched sides, turning down tightens, turning up loosens.

I have never had to mess with the self-adjuster, just rotate the star-wheel.

After you pull the axles and mess with all the nightmare of drum brakes, you will be looking into swapping in a disc brake rear.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
(I have never had to mess with the self-adjuster, just rotate the star-wheel.)

The the adjuster arm is designed so the brakes wont back off. If you try to manually back off the adjusting screw without lifting the arm then you are forcing the star into the arm. Something has to give and it usually is the adjusting arm. If yours was able to back off without lifting the arm than you may need to replace that next time you do brakes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was stated, you need to use two tools when you try to turn that thing. One to hold the arm away, and the other to turn the wheel. To bad THIS picture doesn't show it, but this is what you will see when you do manage to get the drum off.