Looking to replace my C70 dump. Any thoughts on this?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I currently am running an '87 C70 Chevy, 22,000lb with the 8.2 fuel pincher, 5speed and 2 speed rear, hydroboost brakes. I can generally sum this truck up as it doesn't do anything spectacularly well but does a good amount of things with mediocre ability. It has been reliable over the past 6 years. I do worry about the 8.2 engine giving out and would rather sell it running well than wait for some incident to take place. The 8.2 is a slug as well. Barely enough power empty let alone towing equipment or hauling heavy loads.

I am using this truck primarily for tree work and will be blowing chips into it. A chipper box put a big limit on your ability to haul other materials. I want an open top to be able to load things into it with a machine as well as blow chips into.

I am considering a truck that has an l pack or L pack to put saws, blowers, rakes and tools in, a bigger dump box is also priority as one tree can fill this one up with chips and chips go everywhere. The bed is a 10' mason style with home made sides for added capacity.

I found this truck that I like http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3483852503.html

It has hydroboost brakes, 2nd owner has had it since '89, about 250,000 miles. Its in better overall condition than my Chevy. I guess my quandary lies in whether to step up to air brakes, if the dt360 will satisfy my need for power, and whether I should stay with a 5 speed/split rear or look for a better 7 or 10 speed trans. The owner says that this truck is a 55mph unit so any freeway travel will be miserable. South Jersey is mostly flat but I do intend to pull a 1`12 ton trailer with an 18,000lb machine.

I know the 360 is easy to turn up but am not sure if it would be worth getting over a '466 truck with a 10 speed trans. I would like the engine to pull well when loaded or towing heavy. I have mostly narrowed my searching to an International or an L9000 series Ford solely based on what looks pleasing to me, not any hands on experience. The DT family or a Cummins seems to be a good choice with the Ford based straight 6 an option. No more fuel pincher, no 3208 Cat, no gasser.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck looks good. Make sure there is no rot obviously. The DT 360 is the smallest of that family i believe. There is also a DT 444 and 466. You might be able to find something with a 6.9idi or 7.3idi as well. If I had to choose a motor to go with I would have to say DT 466 hands down. But again you might not be able to get all the goodies you want with that engine for the price you want. What is your price range?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 6.5 in a c70 truck that had a blown 8.2 Detroit (swap Detroit for detroit). With a few common 6.5 mods the owner worships his truck now.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have mostly been looking in the under $10,000 market. I know a work truck shouldn't be a "toy" but if I could get that 360 to the 300-350 hp range economically and turn up the governor so she will pull hard to 60 mph, I don't think I would want or need for more. I'm ok with the juice brakes and electric brakes on a 12 ton trailer. Like I said, its 99% flat here in South Jersey.

I have a 4-71 just waiting to do something if I want a Detroit swap with my current truck.:sly The truck simply needs more cubic yard capacity and tool storage. I'd keep it if it were a 16' grain dump with an L pack. Aside from being gutless, the 8.2 has fared very well over the past 5 years. I do know that it will start in zero deg F. weather after sitting for 6 months with nothing more than good batteries. I also know that its a throw away block. Once it goes, mind as well make a boat anchor out of it.:eek: I figure it is best to sell it while it runs well instead of waiting for it to be another project.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go after a dt466 the inline 6 is more hardy and you can make good power with one. And for the ten grand to twelve range you can get a nice one. Well worth the extra couple of grand. Plus parts and mods will be more easy to find than somthing like a dt 360 imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online