Looking to possibly get into a IDI

CCM 5.9Turbo

Crazy Cummins Man!
Reaction score
Okay so heres the thing I own a Cummins already a 92 D250 I am 18 so still not on the high side of the income bracket and I found a 90 Ford F250 diesel with the aftermarket ATS turbo it has 244,000 kilometers on it the ZF 5 speed its a 4x4 5000 pound winch motor is freakin clean no leaks underneath and the guy wants 2 grand is it a good deal and what problems can I expect I know lots about the Cummins diesels but I am new to IDI's thanks again

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like a fair deal. How many miles is 244 kilometers?

Check the coolant for exhaust gasses and check the oil for coolant.
I will assume rust is an issue up by you, look the rad support over(they rot real quick) and the rear spring hangers.

And welcome

CCM 5.9Turbo

Crazy Cummins Man!
Reaction score
The trucks front end was rebuilt 5000 k's ago so the guy says and it was rebuilt before he bought it and there is fairly minor rust just a little on the back fendors and the cab corners have surface crap and I looked at the oil and it was dark but I didn't notice any coolant in the oil and like I said it appears really clean so I doubt there is rad rot and thanks for all the info on the truck and sorry about the kilometers thing but I am from the snowy north and thats what we go by up here haha

CCM 5.9Turbo

Crazy Cummins Man!
Reaction score
The guy who owned it before this guy was a trucker and over all the truck screams well maintained so I might go for it its either this thing or a 98 gmc 4x4 with 215,000 on it

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the OB site.;Sweet The truck you are looking at sounds sweet, 4x4 and ZF are a personal favorite.:love: With the turbo, $2000 is a good deal if the truck is as well maintained as the owner says. Check to see if coolant additive has been used, do a search here on cavitation. Also at that mileage, the pump and injectors should have been replaced by now. Best of luck;Sweet

CCM 5.9Turbo

Crazy Cummins Man!
Reaction score
"1990 F-250 4x4 7.3l turbo diesel reg cab loaded,dual tanks get around 1200 km/fill. body is in great shape box has factory ford rust on fender wells lol has 5000lb warn winch new water pump, lift pump and runs excellent.interior is light grey and in excellent condition. needs oil pressure sensor,needs new front brake pads and glow plug relay changed(have new one) just no time to change, has highway tires on it.is wired for ball and 5th wheel excellent towing capacity has trailer towing suspension package. front diff rebuilt less than 5000k and hardly used this truck was well maintained doesn't burn oil and just needs a little tlc to become solid again or is gonna become parts truck" okay there is all the info I know at present about the truck so see what you think

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The trucks front end was rebuilt 5000 k's ago so the guy says and it was rebuilt before he bought it and there is fairly minor rust just a little on the back fendors and the cab corners have surface crap and I looked at the oil and it was dark but I didn't notice any coolant in the oil and like I said it appears really clean so I doubt there is rad rot and thanks for all the info on the truck and sorry about the kilometers thing but I am from the snowy north and thats what we go by up here haha

If the wheel wells and cab corners are rusty the rad support is rotten. Trust me, that is the 1st thing to go

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you gonna put the 12v in it? you might be sorely disappointed by the performance of the idi if your used to driving what you have now. just a thought.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
are you gonna put the 12v in it? you might be sorely disappointed by the performance of the idi if your used to driving what you have now. just a thought.

:confused: He is driving 170Hp slug. the IDI with a turbo and a mild turn of the pump is at least 50HP more than his dodge