Looking for.......

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched this form over and over, i know it's here but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have a link or the chart for the headbolt/headstud torque specs, and pattern on a 7.3 idi ?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many have it but I know for sure oldbull8 has posted it several times.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll scan my image I got from Justin Anderson with my studs later or at the least take a pic of it!

when I get out to shop...must get a puter out there I think!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know somebody has, i even saved it on my old computer, but.....it's gone now.
It's crazy, I've looked everywhere, just not in the right place

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but damn that's almost confusing.
The most i gathered from that was the recommended torque spec was 125 ft lbs, but their was one individual that had a failure once he reached it, so the safe recommended (unofficial) torque spec is 110-115 ft lbs ?

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry this post is not related to Torque Specs but is related to "Looking For..."

What greatly improves a forums search-ability especially when using Google is descriptive and accurate headings in the first post. So if this --> headbolt/headstud torque specs and pattern on a 7.3 id was the heading rather then Looking For... the next guy that came along would have a much easier time finding what they are looking for and be drinking beer sooner rather then later.

Take it for what it's worth...just my 2 pennies. Now back to regular programming.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but damn that's almost confusing.
The most i gathered from that was the recommended torque spec was 125 ft lbs, but their was one individual that had a failure once he reached it, so the safe recommended (unofficial) torque spec is 110-115 ft lbs ?

That's why I said to call manufacture and talk to them. If it is apr I understand they have a good customer service dept.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I used 110 lbs when I installed my ARP studs. I feel 115 lbs will be fine. The stud that pulled threads was because of bad threads in the block. Not bad stud torque. Lets get that into the forum notes.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 110 lbs when I installed my ARP studs. I feel 115 lbs will be fine. The stud that pulled threads was because of bad threads in the block. Not bad stud torque. Lets get that into the forum notes.
I guess that'll be my target---115lbs

And yeah, i wasn't very specific, but the failure was due to the block itself, not the stud.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I've not ever seen an ARP product fail when properly installed.

Their QA and overall quality is outstanding, this is one instance where "you get what you pay for"

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I had 5 studs from ARP fail on me... I torqued them down in my spare block and went to loosen them. I was told by them to tighten them down to full torque valve and loosen them 5 times. This repeated tightening and loosening does not strtetch them. All its doing is reducing the friction between the threads and the nuts to washer resistance. Nothing more. Sadly my 5 studs gaulded nut to stud. Because the factory is about 80 miles from my home I drove up there after talking with them. I had ALL the top engineers looking at the studs. Yes... I had plenty of their Molly Lube on the threads too. They were very quick to give me replacement studs and nuts to. They kept the failed studs and were to contact me with what was found wrong. I never got a call so I'm thinking it was something on their end and not mine. Or it could have been something I did but they ate it feeling its better than telling me it was my fault. No matter, its good business to accept thing sometimes. I really wanted to know what was wrong be it me or them. I like learning. The other 29 studs had no problems torquing to 110 lbs and loosening 5 times. I probably got another 3/4 turn out of the finished stud after the 5 times too. I sure did not think there was going to be that much friction reduction but there sure was. Nope. the stud did not turn down into the block the extra 3/4 turn either. They were tight in the block before all this. ARP is a stand up business doing great work on many different areas of stud and bolt install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online