head bolt removal - line sequence?

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
God help me I searched high and low and been reading all morning. We finally have some decent temps here (should hit about -3C today) and I'd like to get these heads off (91 7.3 IDI). I know that the headbolts need to be undone in increments in the reverse of the tightening sequence.

I haven't been able to find anywhere that states FOR SURE whether that is the reverse of the steps 1/2 sequence (expanding circle starting in the middle of the head) or reverse of the steps 3/4 sequence (in a line)??

Anyone?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The line sequence is a modified Z pattern.... With the valve cover off the head look at the head.... Se the line of bolts at the exhaust exit to the heads. There are four bolts in that lowest line of bolts. Then the next row of bolts just outside of the valve cover... That line has five bolts in it... Then finally in the valve cover area you will see the last row of eight bolts.... Just look at them and try to see the "Z" pattern... Start at the lower row at the exhaust exit of the heads and loosen each bolt about 1/4 turn till all the bolts are finger tight....

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, from what you describe I take it the loosening sequence is the reverse of the step 3/4 tightening sequence. I see what you mean about the Z pattern

Big day today - I will finally see inside my engine.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... You got it.... I wish I could have scanned a pic from my shop manual but that another issue...:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online