Passenger side head not getting oil

Black dawg

Reaction score
Could low oil pressure cause that much difference in oil flow between the two heads?
Hard to say for sure, passage lengths and sizes can affect this.

Have you inspected the lifters? I have seen them where the pushrod seat had flipped sideways, losing pressure.

As far as blowing air back in that passage, it works good to find large leaks if there are any.

Sinsectan

Reaction score
Hard to say for sure, passage lengths and sizes can affect this.

Have you inspected the lifters? I have seen them where the pushrod seat had flipped sideways, losing pressure.

As far as blowing air back in that passage, it works good to find large leaks if there are any.
Yeah, I inspected the lifters. They were clearly old, and quite scored on the bearing surfaces, but they were straight as were the pushrods.

My next attempt may be to clean and shim the oil pressure regulator. I have yet to find a good write up on the process of removing the filter housing. I've been reading of many stories of worn or clogged pressure regulators wrecking engines.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For filter housing removal, search for oil cooler removal. The filter head and rear cooler head are all one piece.

And on a comment you made earlier about a lifter itself being clogged starving that entire bank of oil. If a lifter were clogged the oil will just bypass it and the rest of the bank would still be fine.

James

Sinsectan

Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks.

That's exactly what I thought about the lifters. But if it just so happens that every single lifter on that side is clogged up (extremely unlikely), then I suppose they wouldn't let oil get into the pushrods

Black dawg

Reaction score
I didnt realize this is taken apart already. Have you re sealed the oil cooler recently?

May be worth pulling it off and putting air pressure to the block to check for leaks or if it is actually blocked or restricted somehow.

Sinsectan

Reaction score
Good idea. I'll have to find a portable air compressor to check this.

Oil cooler has been removed yet. My next plan is to remove it to clean and shim the pressure regulator. I'm just trying to get the critical components that are accessible to me sorted before I start it up next.

Could the filter bypass valve affect oil pressure?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking more alone the lines of what I believe @Black dawg said having a bad lifter seal letting all all of the pressure out of that gallery.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the filter bypass valve affect oil pressure?
Yes but it would affect pressure to everything, and would be seen on the oil pressure gauge. We could give much better advice if we had numbers from something other than the factory gauge (which is questionable at best).

James

Sinsectan

Reaction score
There's two valves, the relief valve and the bypass valve. Wouldn't the bypass valve simply bypass the filter and not cut oil pressure?

Sinsectan

Reaction score
I am thinking more alone the lines of what I believe @Black dawg said having a bad lifter seal letting all all of the pressure out of that gallery.

James
I certainly hope you're right. I'm going to take the oil cooler off tonight and check the condition of the relief vale too and report back

Sinsectan

Reaction score
I took the lifters apart, and they had no signs of sludge or clogging of any sort. They were clearly worn internally, but not worn enough to have the problem I'm having

Black dawg

Reaction score
Actually, my thought is missing piston squirter, but honestly, not enough diagnostics have been done. We dont even know what the oil pressure is, or isnt, or where it is or isnt getting to......

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yes but it would affect pressure to everything, and would be seen on the oil pressure gauge. We could give much better advice if we had numbers from something other than the factory gauge (which is questionable at best).

James
This is what has my interest in this, for there to be some sort of blockage, or leakage, or anything affecting oil pressure to that lifter bank, it has to show up at the sender to. Sender is screwed into the end of that passage.

Sinsectan

Reaction score
Actually, my thought is missing piston squirter, but honestly, not enough diagnostics have been done. We dont even know what the oil pressure is, or isnt, or where it is or isnt getting to...
It's true. I have a proper gauge that I'll be using when I get it fired up in the coming days. I'll give true numbers then. We definitely know that the passenger side bank isn't getting enough oil pressure to push oil into the head, but that's it.

I'll run the engine without covers to see what's going on, too

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the heads off you can still use the starter and see what your oil pressure is, I know on my engine I can get 40-50psi of oil pressure just from the starter turning the engine over. Your engine having no heads would make it a lot easier for the starter to turn it and you can watch the lifters to see if they get oil or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online