Head Gasket Debris in Cylinder

Sinsectan

Reaction score
I've removed the heads to have them machined, and have cleaned off the deck on the block nicely. The only problem is that small bits of head gasket debris are stuck between the piston and cylinder wall. I'm guessing they're going to get chucked out the exhaust port, but I'm not sure. Regardless, I've slid brass feeler gauges between the piston and cylinder wall to try flicking the tiny bits out, but it doesn't work well at all.

Looking for advice as how I could get these tiny flakes out or if I'm largely in the clear.

Thanks in advance.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If those pieces are that small, I think you'll be fine. If it makes you feel better, you could try some compressed air, but that may send them into the lifter valley. Maybe a shop vac?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how 'bout speading a thin film of STP on the top 1/3 of the cylinders and rolling the engine over a few times while you wipe out what the oil catches and pulls off the rings...?

That and some compressed air blowing...after you cover everything up...might just do it....

I hope you put the crank at TDC #1 first before you took it apart...because if you roll it over two times at a time and put it back where it was...help me out here, guys...is this a bad idea...?

Anyway...that is how I would do it...but I would wind up having to line everything back up, afterwards...but...ain't skeered...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
how 'bout speading a thin film of STP on the top 1/3 of the cylinders and rolling the engine over a few times while you wipe out what the oil catches and pulls off the rings...?

That and some compressed air blowing...after you cover everything up...might just do it....

I hope you put the crank at TDC #1 first before you took it apart...because if you roll it over two times at a time and put it back where it was...help me out here, guys...is this a bad idea...?

Anyway...that is how I would do it...but I would wind up having to line everything back up, afterwards...but...ain't skeered...
That's exactly how I did mine.
My heads are currently off and barring it over by hand about 6-8 times I got all the crud out of each hole.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't really see the point. There was no mention of removing the IP gear housing and I see no reason to remove it to pull the heads. If it is removed, I for one, will not put it back on until I can see that the marks on the gears are lined up. I don't trust doing that by feel and I never recommend it.

Sinsectan

Reaction score
IP gear and housing were not removed, I did my research.

Thanks for the tip xolatem, I'll give that a try.

Thanks guys, this is my first time pulling heads without doing a full engine rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.